Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Snow Chains And Snow Socks

Hi

Has anyone purchased any snow chains or snow socks for their IS250?

I have IS250 sport and I am looking for snow chains or socks for my 18 inch wheels.

Which is better?

Thanks.

Alex

snow chains illegal but better. snow socks are legal but they only work in snow and life is reduced considerably on clear road. so you have to remove them and put them on all the time to get some life out of them.

for winters try to get some good winter tyres on all four, a bottle of Spray on snow chain , a shovel and a bag of rock salt in boot.

Snow chains aren't illegal in the uk. But we, generally, don't have the conditions to make them practical. They are more suited for constantly snow covered road and (general sweeping statement coming) our main roads tend not to get a thick enough covering for them and/or it's patchy as to where is clear/covered. You'd end up wasting half your life fitting/removing them when you were at covered sections of road.

I've heard people say snow socks are good, but again, fitting them in rain/snow/freezing temps was a pain. Removing them in the same conditions, as well as the snow sock being wet & filthy wasnt a happy time either! Lol

Obviously if you live in the sticks and you've got a mile of unsalted road between home and the main road then you probably wouldn't mind, but I wouldn't look at them thinking they'll be useful all the time.

My vote also goes for winter tyres and boot provisions. Bag of salt/ice melt and a shovel at the very least. Also consider a getting a pair (or four) of the grip/track things that you sometimes see 4x4 drivers use, some call them waffleboards.

Edit:

Something like these

Grip Ladders - eBay

I keep a set of these ones In the boot of my RX and my other half and brother keep a set in each of their cars too. I hadn't seem the flexible ones like above when I bought them the other year.

Grabber Mat - eBay

They look interesting but pricey for a set of four. Have you used them in anger?

Do you think the folding ones in your first link would be better?

I'm tempted put a set in the boot as we have a couple of long journeys over the Christmas period.

To be honest, I think you just need them for the driven wheels. I've not used them, the RX has been very reliable in the bad weather but in my old 3-seies I'd carry & use hessian/rice sacks in the boot which did the same thing but were a somewhat disposable method,. They just give the tyre something to bite on, on top of the snow. My brother used them to reverse his Astra off his drive, but I'm not sure how much he's used them beyond that.

I'm not sure which, if either, are better than the other. They're probably much of a muchness.

Have you had the Subaru for a winter before or are you somewhere that gets particularly badly hit in the snow? I've driven a Shogun Pinin and my current RX300 over several winters in the past, both on all-season tyres and i've never had an ounce of problem or doubt from them.

Whatever was factory fit on the Shogun. Then I think Toyo Tranpath (?) we're on the RX when we bought it and then changed to Pirelli Scorpion STR which were absolutely fantastic the last couple of bad winters we had. They were almost down to the wear limits so were changed to Vredestein Wintrac Xtremes a few weeks ago. Nothing to do with deficiencies of the Pirelli's, simply the Vredesteins were £20 a corner cheaper.

We've had the Subaru for 4 years and it has been fantastic on all-season tyres. It even manages the steep hills around our house in thick snow - it has been so good that I'm not considering winter tyres. However, we'll be taking kids to EuroDisney over the Xmas break and (bearing in mind the ridiculous cost of the place) I'm keen to do everything possible to make sure we don't get stuck.

If I could get a second set of wheels I'd probably try winter tyres but there are only about 800 Tribecas in the country which means a new set from Subaru or a secondhand set imported from overseas.

We've had the Subaru for 4 years and it has been fantastic on all-season tyres. It even manages the steep hills around our house in thick snow - it has been so good that I'm not considering winter tyres. However, we'll be taking kids to EuroDisney over the Xmas break and (bearing in mind the ridiculous cost of the place) I'm keen to do everything possible to make sure we don't get stuck.

If I could get a second set of wheels I'd probably try winter tyres but there are only about 800 Tribecas in the country which means a new set from Subaru or a secondhand set imported from overseas.

It seems like it is better to leave the IS250 in the garage and drive a 4x4 for the snow!

Isnt there a button in the car which activates snow traction? Is it useless?

One day the UK will wake up to the idea of fitting winter tyres. A bit of snow and panic, grid lock and talk of buying 4x4s, geeze.............

I only woke up to the idea of winter tyres because the IS220 is useless!!!!!!

One day the UK will wake up to the idea of fitting winter tyres. A bit of snow and panic, grid lock and talk of buying 4x4s, geeze.............

Exactly. Whilst I'll admit that winter tyres have their limitations (but then again, so will a 4x4 on worn or incorrect tyres) they would keep most of the population moving through most of the winter weather we see.

You only have to look at places like Canada, Scandinavia, Germany and Poland. Quite a lot of rwd/fwd cars that still keep moving because of sensible tyre choice and decent road infrastructure.

I use snow socks on the rear wheels of my BMW last year and they were amazing.

Could accelerate of where before I would be facing the opposite direction.

In fact, you could tell how well they gripped because now the front wheels felt a bit loose due to the backs being really grippy.

As mentioned, only issue is they need to be removed for normal road conditions otherwise you will wear them down quicker.

Can honestly say that they do work though and for the few times I gee got enough to require them fitting was not too much of an issue.

I was thinking of getting some for the lexus as well just in case.

Carl

• 4 weeks later...

I bought some snow socks for my IS250 [just a pair for the rear] - the main thinking is that as soon as I've spent good money on an accessory it won't be needed - so if no one has much trouble with slipping and sliding this year it's all down to me

:hohoho:

I haven't tried them on yet ! - tyre/body clearances are bit tight but I've also included in the boot kit an old pair of pond gloves to keep hands and arms clean when fitting/removing the socks.

best wishes

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links