Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheel Wobble

Windy

Hello, i have a strange one here.

I live down a farm track and on the days i go out, once i am on the main road for approx 5 miles i have serious steering wheel wobble, which is also prominent when i brake as well. This appears to settle down and disappear after that.

It all points to lower bushes, because these are the types of symptoms you would see, and by braking it is probably pushing them back in. Saying that, worn bushes would would usually still wobble all the time. It is as if the bumpy farmtrack seems to unsettle something.

I just took it to my local garage who are "old School" mechanics and i have used them for years. They litfted the vehicle up and can find no WEAR / PLAY on any of the joints. They took it for a drive, and their only comment was that they felt it has a little shudder from the back, although i cannot feel that.

So I am stumped at this moment.

Any other ideas would be appreciated

John

bit of a nuisance but when on main road(ie wobble is in action lol) pull over safe , ,jack up the car & see if the front wheels are free , sounds similar to my sticking caliper , ,sometimes it wobbles until it frees ?

mine in therapy tomorrow for it fettling

Start of 2012 !!!

A Happy New Year to you all...

And at last i have got to the bottom of my wheel wobble.

Took the front wheels off today to check all the bushes, wishbones properly. Then just by chance as i was checking the calipers and noticed one of my discs seemed to have some play on it. It turns out that one of the grub screws holding the disc on has sheered off, so it is only being held on by one. All now makes total sense!!!

Something for me to fix tomorrow , once i find a 2mm dril bit to get the remainder out !!!

John

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links