Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking To Buy An 220D, Pehaps A 250

Hello again!

I was active on this forum a lot about five years ago when I have my IS200.

My Ford Mondeo TDCI 130 looks like it might be at the beginning of it's last legs so I'm putting some feelers out for a new vehicle.

My budget would be around £7500.

I am trying to choose between:

Ford Mondeo

Lexus IS

Mazda 6

Honda Accord

Honda Civic

I am looking at purchasing a diesel due to the fact that I have loved every minute of driving my Mondeo! (I would never have though i would've said that 5 or 6 years ago!)

But after reading about the head gasket problem I may look at a petrol.

I do quite a few miles (50k in 3 years). Its a 40 mile round trip to work.

I usually spend about £160 a month on fuel, and im sure if I was in my old Lex that figure would be closer to £400

I naturally have a few questions about the Lexus IS MK2:

1. What is the average MPG on the 220d and 250? I used to get 47 on my Mondeo but in the past year it has gone down to 39.

2. When did the facelift occur, 09 plate?

3. What are the differences in trim levels?

4. Does the multimedia pack come as standard in any trim level of car or is it just an optional extra for and trim level?

5. Am I right in saying there is a 7yr/100k (which ever come sooner) warranty on the 220d engines only? What is it like on the petrol variants? Does it need to be a Lexus service history?

6. When viewing 220d's I should check to see if the heaters work. Check for that emulsified white gloop in the water reservoir. Anything other telltale signs of a blown head gasket?

I'm sure I will have more questions :D

Have you had a look at the BMW or Merc diesels? That's where my money would be going.

I considered a IS220d- having test drove one (and reading the reviews on here), I decided it wasn't for me and replaced my 10 year old IS200 with a Mercedes C220CDI Sport auto (I wanted a auto and diesel).

In summary the IS250 is a good motor, but the IS220d is a bit of a dog. If your heart is really set on a diesel, then look at the offerings from BMW, Mercedes etc.

Edit: Just re-read your post- Out of the cars you have listed, the diesel Accord is a good motor, my brother has a 04 Accord 2.2CDTI for about 4 years now, its been running fine without any problems.

Hello again!

I was active on this forum a lot about five years ago when I have my IS200.

My Ford Mondeo TDCI 130 looks like it might be at the beginning of it's last legs so I'm putting some feelers out for a new vehicle.

My budget would be around £7500.

I am trying to choose between:

Ford Mondeo

Lexus IS

Mazda 6

Honda Accord

Honda Civic

I am looking at purchasing a diesel due to the fact that I have loved every minute of driving my Mondeo! (I would never have though i would've said that 5 or 6 years ago!)

But after reading about the head gasket problem I may look at a petrol.

I do quite a few miles (50k in 3 years). Its a 40 mile round trip to work.

I usually spend about £160 a month on fuel, and im sure if I was in my old Lex that figure would be closer to £400

I naturally have a few questions about the Lexus IS MK2:

1. What is the average MPG on the 220d and 250? I used to get 47 on my Mondeo but in the past year it has gone down to 39.

4. Does the multimedia pack come as standard in any trim level of car or is it just an optional extra for and trim level?

5. Am I right in saying there is a 7yr/100k (which ever come sooner) warranty on the 220d engines only? What is it like on the petrol variants? Does it need to be a Lexus service history?

6. When viewing 220d's I should check to see if the heaters work. Check for that emulsified white gloop in the water reservoir. Anything other telltale signs of a blown head gasket?

I'm sure I will have more questions :D

Over the years Lexus have made a variety of fine cars that are a pleasure to drive. They also made the IS220D.

Hope this helps

I currently own a manual IS250 SE- L and i get 28-30 MPG combined consistently, my colleague whos has got an Auto F-sport manages 32. Not sure about the 220d but based on reading the forums, it manages between 35- 45 on the combined mileage, again this is not my personal experience, but just from the forums.

Yes.

(picked this from Parkers) In addition to the standard model there are SE, SE-L and Sport trim levels. The equipment fitted to the standard car includes a six-disc autochanger and 13-speaker stereo, keyless entry, cruise control, electric windows, electric heated mirrors, tinted glass, climate control and 16-inch alloys. The SE model adds eight-way electrically adjustable seats with an inbuilt heating and ventilation system, leather upholstery and 17-inch alloy wheels. The SE-L specification adds rain sensing wipers, front and rear parking sensors, auto-dimming mirrors, electrically adjusted steering column, powered rear blind, illuminated scuff plates, Xenon headlamps and high quality wood trim. Sport model has 18-inch alloys and memory settings for the seats, wheel and mirrors. In 2008 the trim levels were changed to SE, SE-I and SE-L while a new sat nav pack was introduced which includes a rear parking monitor. In December 2009 a sporty F-Sport model was added which gets a sports grille, a rear spoiler, sports grille, unique 18-inch alloys, sports seats and an IS F style steering wheel. At the same time, a new optional sat nav system was introduced which uses a 40GB hard drive.

No, it doesnt come as standard (Again picked from parkers).. All models feature a 13-speaker stereo system although this can be upgraded to a thumping cinema standard system, complete with DVD satellite navigation and a monitor with reversing camera

IMO, the petrol engines are bullet proof .. not heard of many issues, i keep exetending the warranty though to be on the safe side .

last not but least, from the list of cars you selected, i will go for the lexus or the Mazda 6 (163 PS or 185 PS)

I see the usual anti 220d members have replied.

From my own experience I have been driving my 220d for just over a year now and had absolutely no problems at all.

It starts first time every time and returns on average 40mpg.

It took me a while to get used to the gearing but now I am I find it absolutely fine.

I also own a 320 diesel BMW so I do have something similar to compare to.

I can honestly say that I prefer the drive to my BMW in every respect apart from the notchy gearbox in first & second gear which I must admit should be better in a Lexus.

If the gearbox was as smooth as the BMW then i would prefer in in every respect.

Providing you service it properly I see no reason why it should give you any real problems.

I have friends with expensive volkswagons and Mercedes who have had many more issues.

Unfortunately, all cars can get problems and you will usually only hear the negative on forums.

The 220d is not always the instant love when you test drive it for a few minutes but a few weeks start to relly make you appreciate it's finer points.

Did I mention it's lovely for over taking in 3rd gear, lots of torque....

Carl

From my own experience I have been driving my 220d for just over a year now and had absolutely no problems at all.

It took me a while to get used to the gearing but now I am I find it absolutely fine.

I can honestly say that I prefer the drive to my BMW in every respect apart from the notchy gearbox in first & second gear which I must admit should be better in a Lexus.

If the gearbox was as smooth as the BMW then i would prefer in in every respect.

Providing you service it properly I see no reason why it should give you any real problems.

I have friends with expensive volkswagons and Mercedes who have had many more issues.

Unfortunately, all cars can get problems and you will usually only hear the negative on forums.

The 220d is not always the instant love when you test drive it for a few minutes but a few weeks start to relly make you appreciate it's finer points.

Carl

Agree with all you say.

Pretty much, all diesels of any marque sound like a tin of conkers at tick over (Ok, if wrapped in 3 duvets it makes 'em quieter), but get mobile and it is very quiet. Exceptionally comfortable on any length of drive.

My local driving to work and back is 41.4 at present. Had 49 avg mpg in France on holiday and 54 driving back from Scotland (600+ mile drive). I too have friends with BM's and Audi's who have their own list of faults!! Don't mention the clutch issues with Audis, my neighbours went back 5 times, and the bloody thing was brand new!!!

Biggest fault....6th gear. You won't use unless you are doing 85+ on an Autobahn!!

Just as an aside. On the first to second notchiness.

1. Do you have carpets that tuck up behind the pedals, they can prevent full travel of the clutch pedal? Mine don't. Tried my spare set (that did) and it was terrible.

2. Give just a small blip ( and i do mean a tiny blip and no more, nudging the rev counter by 100-150rpm, or thereabouts) on the accelerator between gear changing from first to second. If you glimpse at the rev counter needle during normal running you'll see it dies back quite sharply with gear changes.

For me, this has worked a treat, give it a try and hope it works for you too.

Carl

I admit to not being a fan of Diesel's. But will happily state that the IS220D is not a bad car. I personally think that the new IS200D drives better despite lower BHP.

The trouble is that when the IS220D was introduced, many people got all huffy and said that a diesel is not what Lexus is all about - and sadly, in most respects they have been proved right.

Although the IS220D is not a bad car; I would be interested if anybody on here thinks Lexus have ever produced a worse car or even one on par with it. Nevertheless, even bottom of the Lexus Great Car list is not a bad position!

The difficulty the IS220D has is that it is an OK car which suffers badly by comparison with the much, much better IS250

Auto in every way except fuel economy - and if that is a major concern it would probably be a good idea to go for a cheaper car to really reduce costs.