Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How To Remove Sticky Stuff Left On Boot Lid From A Stolen Badge

Hi Guys. Was wondering if you have any tips on how to remove the sticky/spongey stuff left over on the boot lit of my IS200 after someone has yanked off the badge. Bare in mind I don't wanna damage the paint work and want a clean surface to stick down my new badge. Cheers!

Hi Guys. Was wondering if you have any tips on how to remove the sticky/spongey stuff left over on the boot lit of my IS200 after someone has yanked off the badge. Bare in mind I don't wanna damage the paint work and want a clean surface to stick down my new badge. Cheers!

1)wd40 & credit card to remove the bulk

2) t-cut to remove the smaller bits

3) apply some wax

warming with steam from kettle also helps melt the glue

1)wd40 & credit card to remove the bulk

2) t-cut to remove the smaller bits

3) apply some wax

warming with steam from kettle also helps melt the glue

Thanks for that. Which t cut product should I use as there seems to be quite a few available. Bare in mind that it's a 2000 Lexus and the bodywork could do with some TLC so I'd like to buy something I can use on the rest of the car as well.

this will do exactly what it says http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/500ml-BURNISH-CUT-WAX-PREMIUM-CAR-POLISH-CUT-/300430846743?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item45f312eb17#ht_1145wt_944

i use their "shimmer" carnuba wax & their glass cleaner as well , ,faultless finish,easy to use & not crazy money that the big names are asking

30 mins & your car will come alive

happy days

I wouldn't recommend waxing the area before fitting the new badge it may not adhere properly, I would remove the old glue with isopropanol alcohol ( or a good quality aftershave lotion) applied to a soft cotton cloth then dry off before fitting the new badge.

I'd suggest getting a hairdryer and gently heating the sticky stuff and you should just be able to roll you finger over/around it and ball it all off. Clean it with some alcohol based glass cleaner afterwards rather than T-Cut.

Another alternative is getting hold of something like Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover, stick a bit on a cloth/microfibre towel and it should get rid of it all with minimal work and leave you a nice clean, grease free surface for the new badge. This method should be easier/quicker but it might mean buying the product if you don't already have some in the cupboard.

I personally wouldnt T-cut and polish it, not unless you want a really neat shiny little patch of bodywork around the new badge. Ok if you plan to do the whole thing at the same time, but if the paint is already in need of some TLC like you say, the patch would stick out like a turd on a bowling green in the mean time.

Thanks guys. Gonna try the easiest option first and it doesn't work try others. So aftershave>wd40>hairdryer...

good stuff . & if that don't work resort to a light circular motion with wire wool or emery paper :duh:

seriously , ,the above guys are right , ,ive only ever removed & not replaced , ,i should have read your post to the end :P

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I just heated mine with a hair dryer, and rolled it off with my fingers (wearing gloves). Then cleaned the area with glass cleaner (alcohol based) and finally with T-Cut. Not even a blemish left.

T-Cut is optional; glass cleaner suffices

• 1 month later...