Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Insurance Companies - Robbers Or Victims?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is interesting. On Go Compare now Swinton cheapest at £294. But M+S who quoted me £700+ on the phone,comes in at £313. Hmmm....

My camper van was cheapest with Swinton last year, but their renewal was way dearer than the lowest this year.

Loyalty doesn't pay when it comes to insurance these days, I now use comparison sites for all my policies, property and motoring, and the savings over a year amounts to between £500 and a thousand pounds.

Not a bad return for a few hours work.

Just got some quotes for renewal at 20th. February.

SAGA for the second year ( and they paid me the w/o for vandalism on my older MK2 ) at £495.92

and RIAS wanted £895

and NFU whom I used prior to Saga were too embarrassed to quote !

For somew reason I don't fathom the Mk3 when I got it was £100 dearer than the MK2 ........ .. god knows why, even Saga couldn't explain the thoughts of the underwriter !

So I guess I'm going with Saga again . their claims handling and help with my vandalisedf w/o was quite superb and very professional and most helpful.

Malc

I tried Saga but no better than the others. I think I will just have to sell her as I can't justify running two cars at the moment.

Does anyone have any recommendations for insurance companies that do short term cover so I can let people test drive her?

Any advice much appreciated.

I tried Saga but no better than the others. I think I will just have to sell her as I can't justify running two cars at the moment.

Does anyone have any recommendations for insurance companies that do short term cover so I can let people test drive her?

Any advice much appreciated.

Try your existing company.

When I was with Tesco a couple of years back, they gave me cover for the car I was selling on a weekly basis until sold, about a tenner a week at the time if I recall correctly.

With the DVLA introducing the continuous insurance requirement it makes it more difficult to sell a car because if you have no insurance you have to SORN the vehicle also which means the new owner has to not only arrange insurance cover but also re-tax at the same time and if it is middle of the month ends up loosing money as the tax is backdated to the beginning of the month.

Thanks guys.

I know how to use Google but what I was getting at is has anyone had a good experience if there is such a thing with their insurance company etc

I have left the tax on the LS to make it easier for any buyer.

Sorry guys I didn't mean that to sound ungrateful it wasn't intended that way. I was just wondering if anyone had taken out short term insurance and were pleased with the service they were given if that makes sense.

Cheers.

Thanks guys.

I know how to use Google but what I was getting at is has anyone had a good experience if there is such a thing with their insurance company etc

I have left the tax on the LS to make it easier for any buyer.

Pete in post number 49 you said you had Sorned the car but here you say you have left the tax on it, if you are Sorned I thought you had to return the tax disc to the DVLA as you cannot have a taxed car with no insurance cover on it now.

If you know a friendly car trader then he might allow you to put your car with him whilst keeping the tax on it and de-insuring it yourself, the car being covered under his normal motor traders policy whilst in his possession !

Just a thought. And doubtless you would have to bear the " risk " whilst the car isn't insured by you but safely on his forecourt or wherever.

Malc

And for info guys, I read the other day that the Tescos guy who did insider trtading ( or not ) has been pushed to one side in the hierarchy ...... don't think the Tescos bosses were at all impressed with his actions either !

Malc

I did think about returning the tax disc but it didn't say I had to on the web site. if that is the case its very unfair to people who may just be repairing a car or like me just selling but not right at the time of the insurance running out!

Is this just another way of screwing us honest motorists over!

On another note, well done tescos.

I did think about returning the tax disc but it didn't say I had to on the web site.

It does in fact say that the disc must be returned. It may seem/be unfair but I suppose the car is either off the road or on the road. The following from Directgov website:

"If you have a vehicle that is taxed and not insured which you will be keeping off road you need to return the tax disc. You can do this on a V14 (including nil value discs) and declare SORN at the same time."

I did think about returning the tax disc but it didn't say I had to on the web site.

It does in fact say that the disc must be returned. It may seem/be unfair but I suppose the car is either off the road or on the road. The following from Directgov website:

"If you have a vehicle that is taxed and not insured which you will be keeping off road you need to return the tax disc. You can do this on a V14 (including nil value discs) and declare SORN at the same time."

These things can be easily overlooked when staring at government forms.

I can do it without even trying.

Still you havent sent the disc back so I think a public flogging is in order or the taking off your Lexus away by a shady government department the choice is yours.

Mike

These things can be easily overlooked when staring at government forms.

I can do it without even trying.

Still you havent sent the disc back so I think a public flogging is in order or the taking off your Lexus away by a shady government department the choice is yours.

Mike

Totally agree that it is easy to miss these things with the way they list all the various things relating to SORN and new regs regarding lack of insurance. I was just pointing out that it is there in print so it would be hard to dispute. If the car is SORN and is seen on test run by police with the incar ANPR then it could have serious consequences when one may not even realise an offence was being committed.

Thanks for the info guys I think I will ring them in the morning and explain. I could have sworn it said " if you wish to return your tax disc" but I must have misread it so a phone call is in order to be safe.

Back to insurance quotes guys !

LV have just quoted me £430 BUT doesn't include cover for theft or attempted theft without a tracker being fitted.

Covers broken glass during an attempted theft tho.

Has anyone had this Tracker issue raised before ? Do Lexus LS400's get stolen ???

Seems a strange one to me.

Malc

....LV have just quoted me £430 BUT doesn't include cover for theft or attempted theft without a tracker being fitted.

What??? Seems like lunacy (but then we are talking insurance companies here). So they are saying that you should spend circa 25% of what the vehicle is worth to get a tracker fitted before they will cover it for theft or attempted theft?

Me thinks you should demand to have a word with the underwriter and ask him/her what planet they are on ! If it was attempted theft it wouldn't make a jots difference whether a tracker was fitted or not - it would still be in the same place you left it and therefore the tracker would be useless and pointless.

Edit - Sorry..... just checked the price of trackers and they seem to be around £200 fitted...... for some reason I thought they were over a grand ! :eerrrmm: .... Still seems a bit daft to insist on a tracker on a 7 year old car !!

My car's 17 years old this year !!!

And yes, the underwriters don't seem to be on this planet with this one ........ OR is this a sign of things to come maybe.

Malc

Back to insurance quotes guys ! LV have just quoted me £430 BUT doesn't include cover for theft or attempted theft without a tracker being fitted. Covers broken glass during an attempted theft tho. Has anyone had this Tracker issue raised before ? Do Lexus LS400's get stolen ??? Seems a strange one to me. Malc

Nope. Been asked but its never been an issue.

If somone could steal the car without the keys the guy would be an absolute genious and should be employed by the motor industry to strengthen the security on their cars.

Mike

My car's 17 years old this year !!!

Sorry... YES !! 17 years not 7 (I've been watching too much Dr Who and all that time travel has confused me)

Hang on a minute.... 17 years makes it even more of a daft request to have a tracker !!

I give up..... Mines not due until September - wonder what shock I'm in for then?