Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel - How Much For A Tank Full And How Many Miles Per Tank?

Having bought a GS300 (collecting in 10 days) I've decided now would be a good time to look at the running costs!

How much does it cost to fill the tank and how many miles should I expect to get from it?

Also, what grade of unleaded do they prefer? My Audi's FSI engine will run on either 95 or 98 RON but is quieter on 98 (due to knock sensors etc.) I guess the GS300 engine is a little less sophisticated, but does it have a preference? I'm not interested in 0.0005 BHP gains through using a different fuel, but what to make sure I keep her happy.

Hello mate, I've got a mk1 gs300 sport 97 with 91k on it.

It has a full Lexus service history and I only use shell vpower.

On the motorway recently I got 30mpg, that was with 3 people from Liverpool to Glasgow, I done around 20 miles town driving, the rest was between 60 And 75

Around town however, around 19 can be done, but that can Also drop to 15, which I got lastweek, hope this helps mate, I have just had it serviced from lex last week along with a k&n filter and have got a full custom exhaust on the cards within couple of weeks so will update after

£30 gets me over 200 miles on the motorway driving at the speed limits and around town I would get around 80ish miles full history never failed an mot in 19years mk1 1993 gs300 149k this is my daily driver

I fill up for about £71 at the moment, and get approx 460miles per tank i think.

With conservative driving i get about 33MPG, used to be as high as 37-38MPG but since the fuel pump wiring recall i have lost about 10% efficiency.

Lexus Milton Keynes are having another look at this on Monday to hopefully sort it out

Thanks for the replies guys - Flexxx, did you really mean £30 gets just 80 miles around town ?

Yes mate that's driving conservatively if I decide to stretch the lexuses legs I get low to mid 70miles my mates aristo jzs161 fuel consumption is compared to the gs430 driving conservatively but once you let it open it will drink as fast as the second Turbo kicks in

Thanks for the replies guys - Flexxx, did you really mean £30 gets just 80 miles around town ?

Yes mate that's driving conservatively if I decide to stretch the lexuses legs I get low to mid 70miles my mates aristo jzs161 fuel consumption is compared to the gs430 driving conservatively but once you let it open it will drink as fast as the second Turbo kicks in

That is really quite shocking!

Is there something wrong with your car?

Everything is fine apart from very slight blow from the exhaust that just started engine is smooth as is the compression all good never given me any problem why do you think there's something wrong

You got me thinking mate so Just got into the car to check the odometer working out to 28mpg I love my Lex its my pride and joy so any doubts about it not operating right I need to have it sorted asap I have ocd when it comes to my Lex lol

I fill up for about £71 at the moment, and get approx 460miles per tank i think.

With conservative driving i get about 33MPG, used to be as high as 37-38MPG but since the fuel pump wiring recall i have lost about 10% efficiency.

Lexus Milton Keynes are having another look at this on Monday to hopefully sort it out

What year is your GS300 though?

£30 of fuel at 1.41 = 22 ltr = 4.8 UK gallons

80 miles / 4.8 gallons = 16.6 MPG

4.68 galls = 17mpg.

I had a late '96 300 sport for 6 yrs. When I sold it to get my GS430 it had almost 150k on clock compared to 86k when I bought it. I ran it for all those miles on "standard" petrol mainly purchased from Morrisons with absolutely no problems. It was serviced at the correct intervals.

When touring France, Belgium etc it averaged around 32mpg. Around town it varied between 16mpg and 20/21 mpg dependant on temperature and how heavy my right foot was from day to day.

If the mpg is not in line with what you expect from a near 2 tonne 3 ltr engined luxury car then maybe the car is not really what you should be considering. You ask FLEXXX what is wrong with his car.........the answer is almost certainly nothing.

If you can get a good one the MK 1 GS 300 is a cracking car to own/drive and compares favourably with any 3ltr luxury motor from the same "era".

In 3yrs as mydaily driver never felt that it was drinking fuel funny enough as my mate was complaining about his is200 which costs him! £50 to do a 90mile trip when I mentioned what I do and cost he was amazed on how economical the mk1gs is in 3yrs as a daily driver it has been trouble free

my GS300 MK2 in town i get bang exact 70 miles out of £20 fuel which is about 15 liter

on motorways i get little bit more.

my car used to give me mor emiles for £20 in town but miles dropped since i have fitted 18" wheels and big exhausts.

but still £20 = 70 miles town driving is not bad at all.

These mpg figures are all well and good but most seem to be for Mk 2 and later GS 300 models so they should, realistically, be better than figures for a Mk 1.

Reading what you guys have to say about fuel consumption makes me feel a lot better.

I have a 1995 GS with 130k and get 125 miles from £40 worth of fuel at £1.33/litre which gives me 19 - 20 mpg around town.

The only check I have on motorway driving is that I could get to Manchester and back on a full tank plus £30 additional fuel (about £100 in total) back in 2006 which I would estimate to be around 35 mpg.

Reading what you guys have to say about fuel consumption makes me feel a lot better.

I have a 1995 GS with 130k and get 125 miles from £40 worth of fuel at £1.33/litre which gives me 19 - 20 mpg around town.

The only check I have on motorway driving is that I could get from Lewisham to Manchester and back on a full tank plus £30 additional fuel (about £100 in total) back in 2006 which I would estimate to be around 35 mpg.

What year is your GS300 though?

56 plate. Just done another couple of tanks of fuel. Average was 32.5 before filling up and 33.3mpg.

Lexus MK say everything is fine, but just not as great as it was. Still not bad for the size of engine and luxury involved in driving.

That is really quite shocking!

Is there something wrong with your car?

£30 of fuel at 1.41 = 22 ltr = 4.8 UK gallons

80 miles / 4.8 gallons = 16.6 MPG

Something tells me that 'fuel economy', is not the only reason we drive the cars we do.

Personally we have a family estate that caters for our needs, but it is the SC430 that I enjoy to drive.

My view is this - when fuel is expensive, luxury cars are more affordable to purchase.

I would therefore prefer fuel to be high and afford a couple of luxury cars, than fuel to be low and afford none.

Currently looking for a pre 2006 GS to add to the collection, as for me these cars make the low mpg an enjoyable experience with every mile covered!

When I was using my Mk1 GS300 Sport I used to average 25 mpg which was a mix of motorway and city driving. On the motorway/dual carriageway I tended to cruise at 100 mph so I'd think it might be possible to get 30 mpg on a run if you stick to the speed limit.

In my 96 GS300 Sport, I got pretty much what has already been said. 20'ish around town, 32'ish on a steady motorway run.

Tank is meant to be 80 litres, so an empty to brim will set you back in excess of 100 quid.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links