Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Boot Hinge Broken

vinnyh

Boot has been slamming shut with the slightest wind for the last few months. Last night heard a huge clang, and opened the boot to find that both hinges had broken in half. See photo - driver's side has completely fell to bits, and passenger side (inset in photo) is broken as well.

What's my best option for dealing with this - can I just buy an assembly somewhere and fit it?

Also what are the options for putting some spring back into the boot? I read about gas struts.. is this a good way to go and does anyone have photos of one they have fitted, so I can work out what's required?

lexus_l.jpg

Had this on mine about 3 years ago got hinges and springs from breakers £25 perfect ever since

Ade

Cheers for the tip! Got the bits from a breakers, to do the swap, it looks like I need to remove the bolts which go down into the weld nuts on the hinge. It's looking like the only way to get to these is to remove the rear parcel shelf, which from memory is a lot of faffing around. Did you have to do this as well, or is there an easier way I've missed?

Vinny

if i remember correctly it was back seat out take off the two side panels and pop up the rear shelf do one side at a time put some tape round where the hinge bolts to the boot lid to make it easier to line up again it's a bit fiddly but not hard just a couple of hours best with two of you

Ade

Cheers - did it today and it was indeed fiddly, ended up taking out the rear seats, C pillar covers, and parcel shelf to get to the hinge bolts. The ones nearest the windscreen are a real pain as you can only reach them with a spanner which is slow work. Changed one hinge a time like you said which made things a lot easier.

Boot is working like a dream now, very pleased indeed! Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Vinny

• 4 months later...

Had this on mine about 3 years ago got hinges and springs from breakers £25 perfect ever since

Ade

Cheers for the tip! Got the bits from a breakers, to do the swap, it looks like I need to remove the bolts which go down into the weld nuts on the hinge. It's looking like the only way to get to these is to remove the rear parcel shelf, which from memory is a lot of faffing around. Did you have to do this as well, or is there an easier way I've missed?

Vinny

• 5 years later...

This has just happened to me in exactly the same way,  drivers side broke off and passenger side not looking too healthy now.  This has got to be a manufacturing issue as the piece that fell off has the integrity of plastic!!!

Thanks for the thread and answer on how to sort it.

Nick

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links