Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

To Keep Or Not To Keep?

gavstrabane

I have a lexus IS 220D. 75k miles. 2006. I love the car (despite the fuel efficiency) but I recently had the dreaded "check vsc" for the 3rd time in 4 years. First time was for 5th injector when they replaced the cat convertor also under recall. Second time it happened I cleaned EGR valve. This time cleaning the EGR valve didnt seem to work at first even though she is running fine now. Whilst trying to find out the problem lexus put it on their diagnostic machine where it showed up new EGR and cat convertor needed. £1700 !!!! This would be the 3rd convertor in the car which is surely insane and apparently down the line the car may need the engine stripped to clean out pistons etc due to the carbon build up????? Can anyone advise me? Does this car have a serious problem with this fault?

Hello.

U arrived at the right moment to keep off all your problems.

Here in the forum u will find procedures to show to a normal good mechanic to:

- keep off dpnr and substitute it with a normal piece of tube and an electronic FAP emulator;

- close the EGR circuit using diversion off fresh air taken after compressor (look the topic "close EGR circiut");

- install an oil catch can and avoid recyrculation of vapor oils inside the air manifold pre turbo (there is a topic dedicated to this problem with photos of typical solutions).

After these works your car will run very well and clean.

Bye

I have a lexus IS 220D. 75k miles. 2006. I love the car (despite the fuel efficiency) but I recently had the dreaded "check vsc" for the 3rd time in 4 years. First time was for 5th injector when they replaced the cat convertor also under recall. Second time it happened I cleaned EGR valve. This time cleaning the EGR valve didnt seem to work at first even though she is running fine now. Whilst trying to find out the problem lexus put it on their diagnostic machine where it showed up new EGR and cat convertor needed. £1700 !!!! This would be the 3rd convertor in the car which is surely insane and apparently down the line the car may need the engine stripped to clean out pistons etc due to the carbon build up????? Can anyone advise me? Does this car have a serious problem with this fault?

Keep the car you love and do all the things people have suggested until it reaches the time to replace it - then think about getting a similar car that does not need any of this and is better in almost every way. This could well be IS250 Auto MM.

I was chattin to a lexus tecnician today and he told me every time i ger the car serviced i should get the EGR and manifold cleaned and rejuvinate the cat converter? He said that would keep the problem away?

In which case why do Lexus not do this as part of the specified servicing schedule?

I was chattin to a lexus tecnician today and he told me every time i ger the car serviced i should get the EGR and manifold cleaned and rejuvinate the cat converter? He said that would keep the problem away?

In which case why do Lexus not do this as part of the specified servicing schedule?

Hello.

U arrived at the right moment to keep off all your problems.

Here in the forum u will find procedures to show to a normal good mechanic to:

- keep off dpnr and substitute it with a normal piece of tube and an electronic FAP emulator;

- close the EGR circuit using diversion off fresh air taken after compressor (look the topic "close EGR circiut");

- install an oil catch can and avoid recyrculation of vapor oils inside the air manifold pre turbo (there is a topic dedicated to this problem with photos of typical solutions).

After these works your car will run very well and clean.

Bye

I cannot see why all the above should be needed to keep it running correctly! If the engine needs to be modified in so many ways just torun correctly then I would be getting rid!

Dave i see u have an aspirated benzin Lexus; u cannot understand the complexity of a turbodiesel powered car like an IS220D. Any mechanic with intellectual onesty should keep u aware about problems of modern post Euro 4 turbodiesel. Very simple reasons i told above and all around this forum. I tell u a recently funny story: a friend with a japanese pick up, over 2000 cc. Turbodiesel euro 4, 6 in line cyl, not Lexus, made 150.000 km in 3 years. All km done wih normal servicing. As easily innaginable the engine has lost more then 30% of original power, completely dirty Egr circuit, completely dirty and impossible o regenerate fap filter. 2 weeks ago, engine died for autofiring after mixing of fuel inside oil due to impossible regeneration. Solution: buy a new car.

And cases like these are ordinary.

So this is reality. These are cars to buy new with almost 3 years complete warranty on engine, so the servicing and all eventual problems will be payed by the Lexus dealer, but when warranty decade, or u make such solutions, or here u have many examples of what will happen to your car's engine.

...then naturally anyone is free to loose his money as he prefer ;)

I'm realistic engineer. And as u can imagine these problems will increase much more with increased restrictions on pollutions of Euro norms. To not mention the risks eventually connected with the usage of "future ecologic" diesel fuels.

Actually, considering that in my stupid country the price of diesel is almost same then benzin, i really don t see any reason to buy a plague like a turbodiesel car, if u are not a traveller that runs more then 50.000 km/year.

The thing is so many things have been suggested!!! What advice to follow is the question! Are there IS 220D s out there with high mileage going well or are they a complete disaster?

One of the biggest causes of problems on modern diesel fuelled cars is that they are often bought by people who should be buying petrol fuelled cars. If you are doing a lot of short runs from cold then the odds are that things will get gummed up and also you will get carbon deposits because the engine isn't hot enough to burn it off. EGR's, DPF's will suffer damage from short runs from cold.

Whilst this may not mirror your usage it is still worth knowing.

• 6 months later...

Hello, I have a 2007 IS 220d Sport with 235 000 kms. I had one EGR replaced at about 120 000, then did an EGR bypass. I use 5W30 Synthetic oil only, change oil at 15 000 km intervals and only do major check-ups at Lexus. Regular oil/filter changes are done by me. I replaced the stock air filter with a K&N. Thus far the only problems I have had:

- EGR replaced once after warranty

- Tightened the shifter because of 4th gear slippage (early on)

- Replaced a transmission gasket

- Replaced the Piezo injector seals (30 euros)

- Had to oil a spring in the driver seat that squeaked on corners.

- Had to change the driver side mirror thanks to an idiot that used a power washer on the side mirror.

The mileage varies, but if I ease up I can get 6.5 L/100 kms, if I drive hard, it goes up to around 10L/100 kms.(I have 18 inch wheels and 255/40/Z18 tires on the rear, which raise the consumption. I use STP diesel injector cleaner every third deposit. It goes 0-100 kph in under 8 seconds and with the short gearbox (highly recommended) the gear ratios work well for city and highway driving.

Otherwise, no issues. Electronics fine, no cabin noise, rides like a charm and the clutch and suspension are like new. Got 80 000 kms with a set of Vredsteins, now I´m using Dunlop Sport GT.

Other than the EGR issue, the car is a pleasure to drive and easily the best in its class. 230 000+ kms is high mileage and I don´t expect problems other than DPNR/FAP issues.

Cheers from Portugal

John

I have to say I love the Lexus they are a cracking car but I could not live with these "normal Lexus Diesel issue's" and the manufacturers lack of acceptance responsibility wise for the cars design faults. Having had 3 BMW 520 D's over a 5 year period and covered 300,000 miles in these cars and they adhere to the latest emmissions laws they never missed a beat. Long service intervals, 1100 kms per tank I dont honestly think that any other diesel could come close.

Not sure if there are differences between the 520d and the 320d, but the 320d is plagued by a number of problems - most of which appear after the two year warranty expires. My colleagues complain of turbo failure at around 120k kms, poor build quality issues, electronic problems etc. The fuel consumption and power is fantastic, and in some countries the brand name slows depreciation, however I would never own one. The 320d feels cheap, looks common and is simply overpriced. The Lexus (diesel) problems are more annoying than serious (except the cat converter and DPNR issues aside, those I have never heard of). If I had to choose amongst German brands, I would probably go for the Audi A4, it feels sportier, solid and well built. However, the cars are so different in ride and comfort I wouldn´t compare them directly. I value comfort and reliability. But as I have said, my IS 220d has gone past 230 000 kms and is going strong. Perhaps Lexus dealerships in the UK aren´t treating their customers well?

I have my car serviced in Oporto, I have a replacement vehicle (Lexus) at no cost and have 24 hour pick-up service. That alone tips the choice in favor of the IS. Would I buy it again? Yes, although I would seriously consider a petrol.

John

The 520d and 320d are the same engine. I used to be with a company who ran a fleet of both and I have to say they were anything but plagued with issues. Turbos did need replacing usually between 90,000 -110,000 miles but that's pretty acceptable I think. They would be much more reliable than Audi A4. although I have to agree I would not fancy a 3 series as they look bland and feel cheap inside unless you spend a lot on extras. They give good service also and look after their clients well. I have never had a BMW mechanic leave oily hand prints all over my cream leather interior unlike the last couple of times I have visited Lexus dealers.