br1anstorm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Name: br1an
  • Lexus: IS 300
  • Year: 2002

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:38 PM

I have just posted a request for advice on dealing with a flat battery in my IS300. I have also been looking through the forums and my drivers-manual for advice and clues, and this has raised another question.

I discovered the "flat battery" problem when I could not even open the doors. The wireless remote unlock wouldn't work.

So (almost without thinking!) I opened the drivers' door with the key. It opened. There was no alarm or anything. I put the key into the ignition and turned it on. Nothing. Then I looked at the interior light. Nothing. So I jumped to the conclusion that the battery was flat, and went on to try to charge it.

I have since been re-reading the manual, and find that it says that - if the car is locked with the remote (which mine was) and then is opened physically with the key, the anti-theft alarm will go off. Mine didn't.

Obvious question - if the battery was totally flat, would this in fact mean there is insufficient power even to set off the alarm? Or is there some sort of back-up power for the alarm? If so, why didn't mine go off when I opened the door with the key?

So I am now wondering - has something gone wrong with the alarm/immobiliser set-up - and if so have I inadvertently made the problem worse by trying to charge, and then disconnecting, the battery?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 br1anstorm

br1anstorm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Name: br1an
  • Lexus: IS 300
  • Year: 2002

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:12 PM

Just to update (and close?) my own thread. It seems there wasn't a problem with the alarm/immobiliser, and now that the battery is recharged and reconnected, all is well. The only thing I had to be prepared for was that, as soon as I reconnected the (charged) battery, the alarm went off - so I had to then switch it off using the wireless remote key .

#3 steve2006

steve2006

Club Post Guru

• Global Moderator
  • 7,123 posts
  • Name: Steve
  • Lexus: LS 400 Celsior Import
  • Year: 1994
Contributor

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:47 PM

Thanks for coming back and letting other members know the outcome every little bit of information can help some one some time.
When I had my Gs300 I also had a flat battery problem and although the alarm didn't go off the engine was immobilised.
It was from information like yours on the forum I was able to reset the system and finally get the Mother-in -Law home! :D

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have