Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I am having issues with my starter sometimes you here a click and the starter doesent operate I understand it's quite common that the contacts get dirty and don't operate correctly.

Has anybody tackled this as a DIY job as for the dealer to do it it's about 4 hours labour. I understand the inlet manifold has to come off as the starter sits in the V.

Just thought I would ask before I pull it to bits to take a look

If it's the same arrangement as my Ls400, it's a painfully slow job, allow yourself a day because of all the dismantling.

It's as already mentioned a full days job, I did my own about 2 years ago using a repair kit (contacts and plunger) and it's been fine since.

There is an awful lot of stuff to remove just to get to the starter, mine was a little easier as there is no EGR stuff but still back busting.

You will also need the inlet manifold gaskets plus throttle body and EGR ones.

I think on the later model the inlet manifold and Plenum chamber come off as one piece so that makes the job a little better.

I also cleaned the throttle body and IACV whilst they were off so 3 jobs in one really.

I also tested the starter motor off the car before refiting to be sure it had been fixed.

The anticipation followed by the satisfaction of the car starting after the job was well worth all the effort.

I have some pictures of the project, pm your email and I'll send them to you.

Yes but only a partial drain, open the drain valve on the bottom of the radiator and drain into container if you want to reuse.

Here are a few pictures, when I get my email working again I will send you some more.

This may help

http://www.lextreme.com/starter.html

The culprits

Untitled_0005_0003.jpg

Untitled_0005_0002.jpg

Untitled_0005_0001.jpg

lexusstarter019.jpg

lexusstarter020.jpg

Thanks for the pictures it looks a big job.

At 34k miles I am surprised I have a problem but there you go. It's worse when cold and damp so I assume condensation causes an issue.

I guess it's a case of how many starts it's made, rather than how many miles, though I'd certainly check my Battery connections for tightness and especially cleanliness, before stripping anything else down, especially as you mention it's worse when damp.

Sorted this today (hopefully) all ok so far

Don't want to strip that again in a hurry what a crap idea putting the starter there

wow you put that so "shortly and sweetly" as if it was like changing a fuse - you must be a very good mechanic?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links