Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Boy With A Problem

ancientone

Hi am from scunthorpe and own a is220d the top o range one with fancy stereo sat nav etc. It is on a 56 plate high mileage 100,000+ had for a year now and was a very reliable car. Yes was! just recently with no warning the check vsc came on along with engine management light and traction control, and went into limp mode after 2/3 miles. I had it checked and DPF was diagnosed so am at present trying to clear it using Forte dpf cleaner and regenerator and driving at 3000 rpm + so far done 75 miles when I can get it out of limp mode (disconnect Battery for 1 min to clear errors) I then get 4min or so normal driving, when I can rev it, was told by mechanic may take up to 200 miles before DPF will regenerate after this time if it hasn`t cleared time for a new one £600+ I believe so holding out hope t will clear!!!!!!

THe car when not in limp mode still drives perfectly.

PS mileage wise get 30 mpg no more and have done since buying it

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

I've not heard of a case of a failed DPF on the IS220 as the main culprit always seems to be a clogged EGR valve.

Cleaning has not been 100% successful but always worth a try before considering a replacement.

update have now driven 100 miles and used 1 1/2 bottles of dpf cleaner and reset computer yesterday and problem seeems to have cleared works fine now will probably put a bottle of magic stuff thru once every 3 months to keep it clean

further update car still fine, spoke to mechanic and he reckons as motor done 100k that I should put a bottle in once a year at a service to keep on top o problem. Maybe a good idea for anyone else with a high mileage diesel to take note of (nip problem in bud )

hi cvebog mine was not egr tho will be cleaning that out out when i have time, mine was the Diesel particulate filter (dpf) this is part of the exhaust system (not the cat) and meant to collect soot particles etc. ine being high mileage was getting blocked and needed a good blast to clean it out. They are supposedly self cleaning but, I had only been doing local miles and with the cold probably not helping it registered a fault. So used forte dpf cleaner 1 bottle with approx 1/4 tank o fuel kept driving it at 3000+ rpm then put another bottle in when putting approx £25 diesel in. After 100 miles of messing about in limp mode (stop engine restart and it resets for approx 3mile then back into limp lol) I reset computer to clear vsc (disconnect Battery for 30 sec) error cleared and all is apparently well

• 2 weeks later...