Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car Wont Start

Hi Guys,

I was recently driving my car and it randomly died on me, it just slowly lost power and the revs gradually came down until the car completely died.

I went to start it again and it wont start, it just turns over freely. I no the engine turns so its not that cambelt or anything like that, I tried changing the throttle body thinking it may of been one of the sensors on there, still the same problem. I've got spark and I've got fuel, just no bang :(

I've got no engine codes up what so ever. Is it possible that the ECU may have gone faulty? I'm really stumped and don't know what to try next. I'm gutted because it was such a nice car to drive

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks,

Nath

Hi ,have tou checked the immobiliser system ? does the tell tale light extinguish the same as it used to ? .If you have not got a engine management light I can't think of any thing else

Ok, I've had a bit more time to look at the car today. I took all the covers off to check the timing. Its all perfect.

Carried out a compression test on every cylinder have 0 psi across the whole lot. Now I know for a fact that every single piston ring on each cylinder would not fail at the same time.

Which leads me on to the cause of the problem, my understanding of the VVT is that the vvt solenoid or OCV will open to allow oil pressure in to the vvt system to adjust the cam timing? I'm thinking along the lines that the OCV is passing oil thus putting the cam out of time hence my 0 psi compression on every cylinder.

Anyone have an experiance of this? Where can I get an OCV from? Is it a lexus only part?

Thanks,

Nath

• 5 weeks later...

if you have no compression then you have broken your cam belt plain and simple. Check the belt. it may have stripped a couple of teeth. It will still turn the cams but not at the right time. If you have no compression dont waste any more money checking or changing anything else. No compression can only be caused my 2 things big hole in your pistons or bent valves. unless you over heated it you havnt got a hole in your pistons and certainly not all 6.

your vavle timing is out plain and simple. If the cams are turning then the valves are opening,if they are bent they wont close and you wont get compression simple as that .

Thanks fil! Believe it or not it's reassuring it's that as its going to be cheaper to sort than Head Gasket especially as I only paid 500 for the car in the first place!

Oops don't know much about cars lol! How much do you reckon it will cost roughly? Is it worth buying another Lexus or keep the one I have and repair it? Bearing in mind I only paid 500 for it!

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links