Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Is220D Smoking Problem/high Mpg

Peter Ekis

Hello

i have a lexus is220d year 2008. when i start the car up it smokes blue smoke for few seconds and then stops and it won't do it untill the next day

and i have a high mpg its about 25mpg

we tried cleaning the egr valve but it never helped

please can you help

peter,blue smoke means that oil is being burnt and it is quiet possible that you may have the piston ring issue.if you have complete service history lexus will rebuild your engine free of charge,mine was done a few weeks ago.

Hi Yes thats right modified piston and rings big end shells should be fitted as long as you have s/h u should be fine . traditionally though your symptons would point to valve stem oil seals , but these would be changed anyway with the modified rings etc as they would generally de-choke the valve train .

• 2 weeks later...

hi everyone and tank you for your help, because i went to lexus Wolverhampton and told about the problems this car got. they said you can pick it up the next day. the same day they called me and said we couldn't get any smoke out of the car. I was mad at them because i been driving this car for a month and it kept smoking. the next i picked my car up and they said they have updated the computer inside the car. i thought i only wasted my time but, actually when i was driving back home it did not smoke a single time, and the dashboard computer said i'm doing average 37.0 mpg so has improved a lot and they even cleaned and polished my car. thank you Lexus Wolverhampton

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I also have a 2008 is220d and was having oil burning problem

Take it to your dealer immediately as its prob the same issue I had and I had a new engine fitted last week

The problem is the oil pump and head gasket and it's covered by Lexus UK.

Hope this helps

Dave

Very true, seems a bit strange that an oil burning engine can be sorted by an ECU software update, a mechanical problem sorted electronically I don't think so.

Bear in mind that once the engine ECU is reset/reprogrammed the car has to go through a relearning process for fueling and driving style so this could be the reason for the sudden miraculous MPG improvement.

Give it a couple of weeks and see if the problems return.

The good thing is you have the required FLSH and a paper trail for the repair should the problem return and you do need an engine rebuild.

• 1 month later...