Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Starting Problem. Please Help. Havent Been Able To Drive It Yet!

climo2k

IHi guys.

Please help me with my problem. I am brand new to Lexus ownership and I bought the car as a non starter and was told it was the immobiliser but have left the Battery off overnight which seems to have reset the ecu as the security light has now gone off but I still cannot start the car, It cranks fine but just wont fire.

I checked all the coils and plugs today and there is a spark on all cylinders so I dried the plugs and checked them again after trying to start the car and they were wet so there must be fuel going in.

I had a look at the cambelt as this was another suggestion I had read about but it looks in good condition (alhough I did notice the top cam cover had possibly been taken off recently as the bolts werent very tight and there was one missing).

Ran a code reader and the only faults that had shown were where we had checked for spark but cleared them and there are no codes now.

I am now at a bit of a loss. Can hear the relay for the EFI clicking with the ignition so thats fine. Fuses are all ok. Only thing I have noticed is that after cranking the car and letting go of the key and leaving it in the ign position there is a fairly loud buzzing sound which sounds like it resonates from around the inlet somewhere. It sounds like a fuel pump priming but it doesnt stop until I turn the ign fuily off. It doesnt appear till I crank the engine either.

The thing that gets me is that it doesnt even sound like its trying to fire. Theres definitely fuel in it as I stuck a jerry cans worth in to make sure.

Another thing I am unsure of (and this may seem like such a noob question) is what is the starter motor supposed to sound like? I have never heard one sound like this before. It sounds like it is cranking in slow motion compared to every other car I have driven. The Battery is fine as I had it checked and charged it overnight to make sure it is good. Voltage is all good.

Please help me somebody. Any help is most appreciated. My car is making me sad already :(

You say the previous owner told you it was the Immobiliser that was the problem. Leaving the car with the Battery off overnight, doesnt reset immobiliser.

Do you have the Master Key for the car(Small gray one)?

Have you tried to Code the keys to the Immobiliser again?

Hi mate.

You say the starter motor is slow when cranking the engine, mine cranks nice and fast check the apmage on the Battery by drop testing it ie put it under load and see what the output is.

Or just get a friend and jump her see if that makes a difference.

Another thing i'd check is the Battery in the key, i recently broke my ignition key and was left with just a stump to start it with and because i'd taken the other half into the shop i was visiting it wouldn't start without the other half of the key it could be something simple.

Good luck.

You say the previous owner told you it was the Immobiliser that was the problem. Leaving the car with the battery off overnight, doesnt reset immobiliser.

Do you have the Master Key for the car(Small gray one)?

Have you tried to Code the keys to the Immobiliser again?

I only have a black key and it has been all taped up where someone has obviously tried something to fix it before. Just confused as before I took the Battery off the security light wouldnt go off but now it does when the key goes in the ignition. May have to try to get the key coded again.

Hi mate.

You say the starter motor is slow when cranking the engine, mine cranks nice and fast check the apmage on the battery by drop testing it ie put it under load and see what the output is.

Or just get a friend and jump her see if that makes a difference.

Another thing i'd check is the battery in the key, i recently broke my ignition key and was left with just a stump to start it with and because i'd taken the other half into the shop i was visiting it wouldn't start without the other half of the key it could be something simple.

Good luck.

Will try this. I will try to get a vid of it trying to start to show what it sounds like.

Thanks for the help guys

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links