Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

House Robbed And Spare Master Key Taken For Is300.. Advise Please

Hi everyone, I had the unfortunate incident of getting my house broken into and had the 2002 lexus is300 spare master key taken. I have contacted Lexus dealer and they wanted 2300£ for the new ECU, immoboliser and key lock.. meaning it will be a write off by the insurance :( I am in living fear currently for the car and getting robbed again. I have a steering lock on the steering wheel and its parked off the main street. Can anyone please advise a cost effective route to take. I have read a similar thread for an IS200.. but like some advise.

Will re-coding the immobiliser with the master key + valet key stop the stolen master key from working? Anyone tested it? I know if the immobiliser/alarm is on, and you have the right key and tries to unlock the driver door, the alarm will go off, so I think I can live with the same key barrel.

Or any advise would be most appreciated.

Fit or get some to fit it for you ,a hidden switch that breaks the feed to the fuel pump.

Operate this before leaving the car and it will never start even with the key.

I have called around 3 car locksmiths and only 1 will deal with Lexus. The lexus dealer was an overkill, as it is changing all the locking mechanism. I have just booked a local car locksmith to re-programme the immoboliser keys for £80+vat, and they said after the re-program it will stop the stolen master key from working. I will test this with the valet key I guess. I will also get a better steering lock like "Disklok" as a backup.

I will get the garage to install the kill switch next time the car is in the garage.

Q: where is the best place to get a spare master key+cutting, Lexus dealer will be too expensive, they wanted £200 for the key + programming cost extra. Anyone tried to re-program their keys with this instructions.

http://www.isfanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3304

but it doesn't seem to change the immobiliser code right, if you need the master key to program other keys. Meaning, if I follow these instructions will it stop my stolen master key from working?

The process is almost like

have a look in the archive tech tips there is info on there to cancel all keys except the one you have in the ignition. You then have to add additional keys as you want them.

this will prevent them opening the car with the remote button and they'll have to use the key, which will unlock the door but send the alarm screaming and wailing into orbit.

Alternatively get a tracker fitted let them take it and let the coppers nab'em. (don't know if i would want to do that!)

Thanks for all the replies, had a locksmith came yesterday to cancel all the keys, but to re-program all the keys with a new code, he needed to connect his machine to the odb2 port to wipe and re-program with a new code. Now just needed to pickup a disklok for the steering wheel and hopefully gain that peace of mind back.

Now need to search for a spare key, is eBay the best route, or anyone in the forum has a spare with transponder I can buy off?

Our neighbour had the same thing happen. Iirc they where quoted £1500 by the dealer, but insurance covered the lot anyway.

Not sure if they claimed on the house insurance or the car insurance though.

I can't believe they touch the ecu, other than to re prog. the transponder codes.

• 2 weeks later...

Stevlee

Have a look at my posts, I had a similar situation.

I went to the scrap yards and brought a driver door lock barrel and swapped it.

Next thing I did, I went to lexus and asked them to delete my spare key (which was stolen) and reprogramme my old and new master key.

New member and this is my very first comment, so please be gentle lol. I bought my IS200 Sport a few weeks ago but it only came with one bog standard key (doesnt work remote central locking, just a plain key). Asked Lexus about it and was quoted about £162 for a new key. However i was told they usually copy it from an existing one but i havent got a remote key to copy. He said he would ask the technical department about what they could do then get back to me about it but a couple of weeks later i still dont know. Long story short can car locksmith people/companies make up a new remote central locking car key for my car? (even if i dont have one to copy from) Wud appreciate ur help guys. Thanks.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links