Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Oil Change

I just had a oil and filter change at my local branch of National Tyre and Autocare. I purchased this online and used a promotional code. Grand total of £44.60. Before you ask; yes they did use the correct oil. Castrol Edge 5w-30, which I would have chosen my self.

I actually watched the technician go through the whole process, and was quite impressed, as he was very methodical. I have used this place before on my previous car( Honda Accord), so I knew what to expect. They obviously buy huge ammounts of oil, that are still in the original barrels, which state the viscosity.

It might be worth checking this out if you want to save some pennies, as you couldn't buy 6.5 litres of this oil at that price.

I had the same done on my IS200 today at National tyres the price was £38 using Castrol Edge. I was talking to the guy in charge and he said that he wasn't making anything on the oil changes. He said Head Office run the promotions just to get people in and hope that other things are picked up (at least he was honest) .

He said that they do a cursory check looking for things but most of the time when pointed out people dont get it done anyway.

I watched the process, heard him shout to the mechanic when he was getting the oil, it needed Edge 5w-30 but we just need to take their word for it that is what they use. I would normally do oil changes myself but have had a back operation. Asda bang next door to National Tyres were doing 4 L of Castrol Edge for £35, which is cheap. So 4.2 litres of edge, new filter and them looking for faults (didnt find any) for £38 plus oil disposal etc seems ideal.

********************** WARNING *****************************

In relation to my post above about NATIONAL TYRES.........DO NOT USE THEM.

I awoke to a new block paved drive covered in oil as was the underneath of the vehicle. Having taken the car back they state the UNIPART oil filter is defective!!! They are going to replace the oil filter. I insisted they put a genuine Toyota filter but they refused stating the offer is for a change with a UNIPART filter...what tosh, there is a Lexus dealer next door and you think out of good faith they would get a genuine not leakable part .....

You learn by your mistakes......ignore these cowboys.....as for the drive, its not their problem, take it up with Head Office

********************** WARNING *****************************

In relation to my post above about NATIONAL TYRES.........DO NOT USE THEM.

I awoke to a new block paved drive covered in oil as was the underneath of the vehicle. Having taken the car back they state the UNIPART oil filter is defective!!! They are going to replace the oil filter. I insisted they put a genuine Toyota filter but they refused stating the offer is for a change with a UNIPART filter...what tosh, there is a Lexus dealer next door and you think out of good faith they would get a genuine not leakable part .....

You learn by your mistakes......ignore these cowboys.....as for the drive, its not their problem, take it up with Head Office

Is the replacement Unipart filter OK? It is very possible that the filter was defective......some years ago my wife's car was leaking oil from the filter after a service (at the main dealer) and it transpired that they had received a batch of faulty filters. They contacted customers who had had the defective filters fitted so that they could be replaced.

I've used National Autocare twice, with two different vehicles. I guess I must be lucky. You can obviously buy a Toyota filter, and ask them to use that instead.