Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Next Generation Is Rumour

According to my dealer, the next generation IS will be available only as an IS 300 hybrid. The petrol engine will (unfortunately) be a four cylinder, and the combined output will be more than 250 hp.

I think this sounds awesome. Driving my wife's CT has made me feel like conventional petrol cars are old fashioned. I'm drooling over the new GS (the interior is fantastic in real life), but it's too big for me, and also a bit more than I am willing to spend.

I have no idea about the price, but a fully loaded IS 300h at EUR 55 k would be OK for me.

What do you think?

According to my dealer, the next generation IS will be available only as an IS 300 hybrid. The petrol engine will (unfortunately) be a four cylinder, and the combined output will be more than 250 hp. I think this sounds awesome. Driving my wife's CT has made me feel like conventional petrol cars are old fashioned. I'm drooling over the new GS (the interior is fantastic in real life), but it's too big for me, and also a bit more than I am willing to spend. I have no idea about the price, but a fully loaded IS 300h at EUR 55 k would be OK for me. What do you think?

This is what the dealer might be referring ...

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/262161/

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/262161/

According to my dealer, the next generation IS will be available only as an IS 300 hybrid. The petrol engine will (unfortunately) be a four cylinder, and the combined output will be more than 250 hp. I think this sounds awesome. Driving my wife's CT has made me feel like conventional petrol cars are old fashioned. I'm drooling over the new GS (the interior is fantastic in real life), but it's too big for me, and also a bit more than I am willing to spend. I have no idea about the price, but a fully loaded IS 300h at EUR 55 k would be OK for me. What do you think?

This is what the dealer might be referring ...

http://www.autocar.c...AllCars/262161/

I hope not. I don't want an ES, because:

1. It is front wheel drive
  2. It favours interior space over sportiness

According to my dealer, the next generation IS will be available only as an IS 300 hybrid. The petrol engine will (unfortunately) be a four cylinder, and the combined output will be more than 250 hp.

I think this sounds awesome. Driving my wife's CT has made me feel like conventional petrol cars are old fashioned. I'm drooling over the new GS (the interior is fantastic in real life), but it's too big for me, and also a bit more than I am willing to spend.

I have no idea about the price, but a fully loaded IS 300h at EUR 55 k would be OK for me.

What do you think?

The theory is fine but I am not convinced that the hybrid route is going to be the long term replacement for straightforward petrol. Even if companies like Toyota continue with the idea they will be continually adjusting and altering the technology. That is fair enough for them but where does that leave us as customers? Unless we are willing to swap motors every 3 years at most we run the risk of being left with a car that will be very unattractive as a second hand buy. At the moment even quite elderly IS 200/250 models are quite well thought of in the market but can anyone say the same of a Mk1 Prius? Will the CT200 have any decent trade in value in 3 years unless to a Lexus dealer selling the latest version?

I realise the second hand market and devaluation have always been dodgy but with Toyota/Lexus preferring to go fairly exclusively down the hybrid road, owners could be stuck in the only marque that will give them a decent PX. However good the cars are, that isn't a great situation to be in. And ... there is no guarantee that hybrids will stay as the main engine, Toyota could just as easily abandon them in a decade's time.

I agree with Desmond, and to add to that I can't believe there will just be 1 engine choice in the range - seems silly if they want to expand sales. There needs to be several engine options along with choice of bodystyles eg. Estate, Saloon (be brave and make it a hatch saloon as would appeal to more people) and maybe a coupe and convertible. (2WD & 4WD options please) Fingers crossed we will get this but judging by the GS we will probably get another IS250 and probably a 300h if rumors are true. Wish we'd got the IS350 in the UK thats a great engine!

I agree with Desmond, and to add to that I can't believe there will just be 1 engine choice in the range - seems silly if they want to expand sales. There needs to be several engine options along with choice of bodystyles eg. Estate, Saloon (be brave and make it a hatch saloon as would appeal to more people) and maybe a coupe and convertible. (2WD & 4WD options please) Fingers crossed we will get this but judging by the GS we will probably get another IS250 and probably a 300h if rumors are true. Wish we'd got the IS350 in the UK thats a great engine!

According to the link posted by ironrose:

"The new model will be available as a hybrid for the first time. The Lexus ES 300h is powered by a 2.5-litre four-cylinder Atkinson cycle petrol engine. Lexus claims the ES hybrid will cover an average of 48mpg. As with the rest of the Lexus range, it will have four drive modes: Normal, Sport, Eco and EV.

The Lexus ES 350 is powered by a 3.5-litre V6 engine. No diesel engine is offered, which could limit appeal in European markets."

I cant wait for the new IS hybrid next year. My partner works at lexus and has seen the pre-production model. If you like the new GS you'll love the new IS she said.

I think the hybrid route is a good one to go down. Although i dont like the drive of the new CT200h, I think the bigger models will benefit from hybrid drive.

I see Auto Express this week have an article on the next Lexus IS http://www.autoexpre...n_lexus_is.html TG

The article is ok explains the engine line up etc, but the car in the pics looks like the current generation IS going to a body shop ... doesnt look anything new... and the way auto express mentioned "Our spies have spotted the next generation Lexus IS testing" .. made me laugh

According to my patner the new IS looks nothing like the current one. It also has a similar front grill to the currect CT200h and new GS.

Lexus will be having this front grill style on all models from now on.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links