Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls 430 Suspension Questions

MUDGUTS

I'm looking to establish whether or not I should replace my LS 400 with a 430 or not when the time comes, so I have a few questions:

1) Do all Ls 430s come with air suspension?

2) If there is / was an option for spring suspension, how do I find a car with that

3) Assuming I have a car with air suspension, how troublesome is it? Would it be worth me setting some money aside to have the whole set-up overhauled after purchase?

4) Is it possible to convert to spring suspenion?

I'm not 100% I want another LS if I am going to run into expensive problems with this. If must work correctly all of the time.

Thanks in advance for the input

From what I read the AS was an option rather than the norm for the LS430 so there should be conventional suspension set ups out there.

"Additional options included rear-window and rear-door sunshades, parking assist, rear seat heaters and power door closers. The Lexus LS 430 was also available with adaptive cruise control, a smoother-riding air suspension, power-adjustable rear seats and a separate rear air-conditioning system."

Looked on toyodiy and this shows both AS and spring setups on the 2001 LS430.

There are conversion kits around for the earlier LS400 models and I would think similar kits for the 430 are available.

From what I have read the air suspension is generally reliable but expensive IF it goes wrong with replaceemnt air struts around 1K each, I cannot find any regular maintainance to prolong their life.

There have been problems with water ingress into the suspension height sensors.

Thanks Steve.

I'll steer clear of the AS ones if I can. I read about the water ingress problem.

When the time comes, I might even have the car suspension overhauled with aftermaket components and the whole lot set up. My LS400 rode much better after a geometry set up when I put the new tyres on.

I don't have any worries with the engine or gearbox (despite the snag on mine) as the OBD 2 should avoid a lot of head scratching should a fault occur.