Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Changing The Water Pump With The Cam Belt?

GWilso

I've been reading up on some of the problems you guys have had with cam belts etc etc and one thing I've noticed is changing the water pump with the cam belt!

When I had my cambelt change 11ks ago I advised I wanted the water pump changed, when I went to collect the car they advised that the pump change was not needed or not required as the pump is not connected to cam belt etc etc, i admit i didnt ask too many questions im not a mechanic, but judging by your posts I might have took my car to a two bob garage, if I really do need to have this done? Is it easy enough to do? And what grief could it cause if not done?

Cheers G

hi the reason people change the water pump with the cam belt is that if it leaks you have to remove the cambelt to replace it so it can work out cheaper to do the both at the same time but the cambelt does not drive the water pump

Clifton thanks for that , I'm guessing it's quite common for leaks to occur then! I guess I'll just have to hope it lasts, can a leaking pump cause any other problems than just needing to replace the pump?

• 5 months later...

It'll over heat the engine cause cooler water isnt flowing which is pumped by the water pump and as clifton94 says, the lexus's water pump is seperate and is not driven or associated with the cambelt repair procedure as other cars.