Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Loss Of Power (Turbo) But No Management Lights

vaughanie

Hi All,

I had my catalystic convertor replaced in February by Lexus for my 2006 IS220D, they also flushed my injectors at this time.

The guy in the garage did say that in the future I may need my turbo replacing but was not an immediate job. Over the past 4 weeks I have been getting a juggering when quickly building up speed (i had this before the injectors were flushed) its not happened since February but then last night I was building up spped form trafic lights and then my power just disminished.... now in 2nd gear it takes a prolongeed period of time to get up to 30, its managable on normal roads but I could not take this on a motorway for instance. There are no management lights ..... Does this sound like a new turbo? (as I was quoted £3k from Lexus) but surley if the turbo is bust I would get a management light and I would had seen smoke etc ?? or do you think its the injectors? .... any help you can give is very valuable....

Thanks, Paul.

it sounds very similar to the problem that i had some time ago,carbon build up in the turbo stops the variable vanes opening and closing.one can of bg244 cured my problem and at a cost of approx £20 it's worth a try.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys.... Tried the bg244 it deffinetly a good addition to the fuel tank as when I get to around 40mph it's so smooth and builds up speed fast....not cured my problem though as getting from 0-30mph is so sluggish and deffinetly have not got a power kick that I used to have and no chance of burning someone off at the lights. I have read a few other sites and some have mentioned a turbo lag? Has anyone heard of this and how I can fix Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Have you checked or had checked your EGR valve?? its on the top right of the engine as you look into the bonnet.

I have had problems with it sooting up and not closing 100%, this then lets boost pressure leak past into the exhaust.

If you plant the throttle you get a lag (most apparent if coasting upto a junction in 2nd and trying to pull out whilst still moving, the car feels really gutless) once the revs get upto around 3K the car pulls again, its because the boost pressure overcomes the leak and the car then revs ok.

Only a tiny gap, with it not shutting can cause this problem, my brother (a mechanic) solved the closing problem by soaking the metal part of the valve in diesel for a few hours then cleaning it up. Refiitted was like a new car, more responsive.

The valve is actually fairly easy to remove, just a few bolts.

Mine never threw a warning light up, prob because the gab was very small, say 3mm, expect if it gets much bigger then the ECU would be notified by the valve, as this fault can throw a light up.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Matt, the more I read about this issue I am little by little having more faith that its not going to cost me a fortune. I have just pasted your update into an email and will prob take it to a garage to see if they can do the same, another site mentioned the Mass Air Flow Sensor and that may also need cleaning.

Thanks again and fingers crossed that I will get my power back!

Cheers - Paul

• 3 weeks later...

The mass air flow sensor could possibly need a clean, although i looked at mine first and to be honest i would doubt looking at its design it could get that dirty. Its a very simple one. Again very easy to clean, its situated on the left of the engine as you look in, in the pipe by the air filter box. two screws (i think from memory) to lift it out. just be carefull not to loose the o ring off the top of it.

I used carb cleaner on mine, made no difference in performance.

• 6 years later...

I've had the same problem with my car and I found out that the pipe near the Egr valve had come off, from checking the turbo to egr valve and finding out just a vaccum pipe that causes the car to play it like that. 

IMG_20180811_151139.jpg

• Thanks 1