Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have compared the MarkIII Ls400 to some of the other Lexus models and the LS with its big V8 motor is not that bad... compare it with the IS200 and see for yourself thats its either the IS200 with bad consumption or the LS with good consumption

---------------

Mark III Ls400

---------------

0-60mph (0-100km/h) 7.4 seconds*

Maximum speed* 155mph (250km/h)

Fuel consumption** L/100km (mpg)

Urban cycle 13.3 (21.2 MPG)

Constant 56mph 7.9 (35.8 MPG)

Constant 75mph 9.6 (29.4 MPG)

---------------

IS200

---------------

Maximum Speed: Manual: 134 mph - Auto:127 mph

Acceleration 0-62 mph(0-100 km/h): (Manual): 9.5 sec - (Auto): 11.2 sec

Fuel Consumption

Urban: Manual: 21.4 mpg (Auto): 20.2 mpg

Extra-urban: Manual: 36.2 mpg (Auto):36.7 mpg

Combined: Manual: 29.1 mpg (Auto):28.5 mpg

--------------------------

1st Generation GS300 Sport

--------------------------

0-60mph (0-100km/h) 8.6 seconds

Maximum speed* 143mph (230km/h)

Fuel consumption**

L/100km (mpg)

Urban cycle 13.9 (20.3 MPG)

Constant 56mph 7.8 (36.2 MPG)

Constant 75mph 9.5 (29.7 MPG)

----------------------

Mark1 RX300

----------------------

0-60mph (0-100km/h) 9.2 seconds*

Maximum speed* 112mph

Fuel consumption** (mpg)

Urban 16.0 MPG

Extra Urban 27.4 MPG

Combined 21.7 MPG

I'm not sure it's that simple.

Consider that the internal combustion engine has been manufactured for about a century and they've just about cracked it by now.

The engine should be matched to the load and run at optimum revs for the best MPG performance. Hence the quest for the infinitely variable transmission which would keep an engine running at a fixed rev (when you're not at the lights).

The IS engine was not designed JUST for optimum mpg. Take the LS430 for example there's less bhp but more torque than the LS400 which was the aim.

Consider also load, flexibility etc.

ie Horses for courses.

If I were running a campaign for the BMW 320d I would be talkng about the 110 quid tax disk the 600 miles to a tank and the better performance figures that the IS200 and other 2.0L petrols. it would be a hard act to beat unless u hated BMW (like me)...

does take some thinking about unless you are brand loyal...

The IS engine was not designed JUST for optimum mpg

I don't think they thought about mpg at all! It's not as if they went for power or flexibility either.

How can a 2 litre engine with an auto box in a much smaller and lighter car have a worse urban mpg figure than a 4 litre unit in a LS400?

I ran the last tank using the ECT power ON. Got 19.27 MPG in NJ traffic, local driving, AC on full.

This is actually about 1 MPG better than with ECT OFF, and the performance is considerably snappier.

The car has 62,000 on it, 1996 LS 400, original plugs.

My best tank average to date, on my 1998 LS400 Mk4 (4.0 V8 VVTi engine, 116k miles on the clock) is 31.0 mpg, on a long motorway drive, using cruise as much as possible.

But if you floor it, it will give a sub 7-second 0-60 time.

I regularly get tank avg of 27-28-29 mpg on my frequent motorway drives. A/C is always on. I always like to keep on cruise control at 75mph. You get a much more relaxed drive and keep good time......and less risk of getting caught inadvertently speeding.

Previous car (Honda Accord 2.0 ES, manual) would give best of 34mpg on motorways. So i think the Lexus has v reasonable fuel costs......provided you don;t do too much stop-start driving !

I always use synthetic oil, just give your dealer a big can of it to use at service time instead of the regular stuff they dispense from big drums. Also I have used Slick-50 friction reducer in the engine.