Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Se Rear Brake Pad Replacement? (Sw London / Shrewsbury)

I just had my IS200 SE Y-reg (45,000 miles) MOT'd by the local MOT-only place in Wandsworth and the guys there pointed out that my original rear brake pads are pretty badly worn and will need to be replaced before the next MOT. Does anyone know of a trustworthy independent garage that could do the job for me in SW London or possibly Shrewsbury? Unfortunately, I am fed up of sending my car to the local Lexus service centre for such work given their labour costs seem to increase each year by more than the price of gold bullion! Out of interest, I contacted a Toyota dealer in Colchester when I was staying with a friend for a couple of days and they said they would charge £120. Any idea if that was a reasonable quote? I can have the work done in either SW London (SW11/SW18/SW17/SW4) or in Shrewsbury, Shrops but I would prefer it done in London and preferably soon too.

I have also seen some comments on the 'Brakes' forum about whether to insist on using original Lexus/Toyota parts for the job, rather than Mintex etc., and to buy them in advance and give them to the garage to use as replacements. I have never done this before but I am guessing that it will limit the chance of being fleeced on the purchase price of the replacement pads or am I being too optimistic here?! (I am unfortunately a real cynic when it comes to car garages as I just do not know enough about cars to know what is and isn't BS, which is entirely my fault, I know).

Any help / replies most appreciated - thanks in advance.

Don't know about london but anyone can d the brakepads providing you have the right tools at hand...

It isn't rocket science so give it a go... PS greenstuff will do/ Pagid etc etc etc ... Just make sure when you select a brakepad that you always choose the sports type ;) They are stickier and brake better then the standard pads ( in the case of green stuff they are already better then the OEM brakes so you'll find one type there)

In total that will set you back some time and the cost of fresh brakepads.

Buy the pads on eBay, Mintex are good. Ive got them on mine at the moment, no problems.

Go on Youtube and watch a video of how to change the pads. Make sure you've got the right tools and have a go yourself. It's not that hard, honestly!

There is absolutly no way I would pay £120 just for front pads!!!!

I have just replaced my discs & pads all round, new caliper, handbrake shoes & fitting kit, bled brakes with Motul 5.1 for £280 (+parts) So for just pads £120 is extortion!

After seeing how it's done, I could probably do it myself and I'm not very mechanically minded. It's just about time really.

I used genuine parts myself, don't see the point in upgrading really unless you have serious power mods or you want to cosmetically enhance the appearance of the discs.

If you want genuine parts, search 'Lexus IS200 Genuine Brakes' on eBay and Lexus Edinburgh will come up. Email them and they will do a deal away from eBay very competitively, I couldn't find a better price by far anywhere.

i agree with most people here i changed my rear pads on mine last week and it took me no more then half hour and i stopped for a cuppa,,lol,,and you cant realy go wrong,,,

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links