Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How To Increase Acceleration For My Is200 Sports/rs200

refat.alm

Hi,

I am driving a IS200 Sports/RS200 and it came with 3S-GE 6 Speed Manual transmission. I have only Upgraded the stock plugs to Denso iridium Tough Spark Plus,Exedy Stage 1 Clutch and pressure Plates. HKS Exhaust with Custom piping. But all these didnt help me much. I want to increase the acceleration of my car. I was thinking to install Toda Racing Cam pulleys but on the other hand,if I install that then the VVT will not be working. So guys please help me to upgrade my car or to do minor mods in it.

Thanks

Refat Alam

• Like 1

If he has an 3s-ge engine it is a toyota Altezza. In that case I would save the money for an engine conversion. Get yourself a 3s-gte engine that is turbo charged, preferably one of the last ones wich have VVT ( these engines where supplied in the toyota celica 4x4 GT rally and the toyota MR2 Turbo MK2 rev 3)

I suggest you get the engine from a Celica with the engine wiring loom and the computer.. an eBay search will lead you in the right direction.

Also you could fit a hybrid turbo on your engine but basically that will cost more then getting yourself a rebuild 3s-gte conversion with a upgraded turbo charger and FMIC. Check Thor racing for the general prices for upgrades to the engine. More power can be had in stages and the 3s-gte engine can put out 600 BHP if seriously tuned.

I just checked online and the BEAMS engine can be safely turbo charged : follow this link

change the currency to GBP and you might end up with a really fast Greddy stage one setup... it'll throw you back about 2500 but that is including installation and import costs.

I wouldn't mess with the cams, you will lose the benefit of the sophisticated double VVTi system that BEAMS engine has - just keeps the revs above 5,000 :)

There really isn't too much more you can do, the engine is already very high compression, unless you want to go down the route of a supercharger/turbo.

Try losing some weight from the vehicle. Especially things that rotate; wheels, tyres, flywheel.

My one is a Toyota Altezza RS200..Thanks for the info's guys.Currently I dont want to spend much as the car so engine replacement or putting a turbo/supercharger will cost much.I am planning to do some minor mode like changing the crank pulley to C-One light weight aluminium pulley.Except that what other mods do you guys prefer me to do to increase a bit acceleration with low cost.

Thanks.

I would change the exhaust line to at least 2,5 inch and replace the OEM cat with a race version 200 cels cat in addition to leighter pulleys and fly-wheel, after all these changes have taken place get it Re-mapped.

That's it, and if you want to go budget... Start stripping the car there is lots of weight gain if your remove the sound proving stuff and start chucking stuff out the boot. won't make the engine faster but the engine will have less weight to shift.

I have a friend who is a young mechanic (just left college) 1st job who has an Altezza. He says the only way of gaining any significant power increase is to supercharge/turbocharge it. Any other mods are pointless really and can even lead to power decrease!

This is just information second hand as I wouldn't know but from what I've researched online my mate seems to be right.

My one is a Toyota Altezza RS200..Thanks for the info's guys.Currently I dont want to spend much as the car so engine replacement or putting a turbo/supercharger will cost much.I am planning to do some minor mode like changing the crank pulley to C-One light weight aluminium pulley.Except that what other mods do you guys prefer me to do to increase a bit acceleration with low cost.

Thanks.

three cheap simple mods you can do is the SUCK , BANG , BLOW suck as in getting an induction kit or good sport panel filter, bang as in fitting performance(irridium denso) spark splugs and ignition leads blow as in fitting a catback or full exhaust system which can only yield about 10 -15 bhp which you wont really feel on the road but the thing with these mods is they can sometimes lead to loss of power/slugishness if not done properly or right aftermarket parts not used. I agree with above only way to get the Tezza pulling is forced air induction(Turbo/Supercharge) but thats if you willling to spend that kind of money and also finding an excelllent tuner who could fit parts and map the ECU...

people also forget its not all about engine output I mean RS200 is not a slow car 210 bhp is good. sometimes investing in good suspension not necessarily lowering springs but performance springs, good grippy tires, performance brake pads and discs, sport clutch and lighter flywheel can make a less horse power car handle rapidly around very tight corners and brake very late for bends etc which can help keep up with say a Subaru making 300bhp.

just for fun watch what the Corrola AE86 predecessor of the new Toyota GT86 does to the Nissan Skyline... was all down to good car balance and high revs.

• Like 1

Hi,

I am driving a IS200 Sports/RS200 and it came with 3S-GE 6 Speed Manual transmission. I have only Upgraded the stock plugs to Denso Iridium Tough Spark Plus,Exedy Stage 1 Clutch and pressure Plates. HKS Exhaust with Custom piping. But all these didnt help me much. I want to increase the acceleration of my car. I was thinking to install Toda Racing Cam pulleys but on the other hand,if I install that then the VVT will not be working. So guys please help me to upgrade my car or to do minor mods in it.

Thanks

Refat Alam

Replacing pulleys and flywheels will contribute nothing except allow you to blip the throttle better out of gear. The rotating mass of these is nothing compared with with the rotating mass of the rest of the transmission and wheels. Similarly a panel filter can NEVER contribute any more than be gained from simply removing the existing air-filter which can be done as an experiment. Similarly, induction kits and free-flowing exhaust systems can't provide significant improvements in performance because the OEM bits are very much more than adequate to deal with the air & gas-flows.

The standard IS200 ECU CANNOT be remapped (although iffy piggy-backs do exist and maybe your specific engine/ECU could be remapped with enormous difficulty to increase power and still maintain emission requirements). So, without changing the engine, the only effective options are forced induction or losing a huge lot of weight, which means stripping out or lightening everything that isn't absolutely essential to the car moving quickly, plus losing any cosmetic gizmos like air-dams or spoilers that might worsen the aerodynamics - but this involves turning the car into one that nobody would want to be in for quite a modest gain in performance.

Nitrous oxide.

Pound for pound it is the most cost effective way to get a verifiable increase in power. A 50bhp shot of NOS can be used without having to change or strengthen engine components. Expect to pay about £1000 for a kit, bottle warmer and a fill of gas.

This video will show a diesel golf giving a Honda NSX a very hard time...!

Nitrous oxide.

Pound for pound it is the most cost effective way to get a verifiable increase in power. A 50bhp shot of NOS can be used without having to change or strengthen engine components. Expect to pay about £1000 for a kit, bottle warmer and a fill of gas.

This video will show a diesel golf giving a Honda NSX a very hard time...!

Lance i think you might have a point here given Toyota engines with GE codes tend to be over built with seriously strong Pistons, engine block, crank and conecting rods the 3S-GE in the Tezza will handle NOS pressure easily and its legal aswell.