Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I didn't think a cambelt break caused any problems with the 300 engine, isn't it a non-interference engine?

By this do you mean a run safe engine? as in when the belt goes it does not smash everything to bits and put pistons through the bonnet?

If so then I would love to be assured of that by someone in the know, Mat c?

When should the accessory belt be changed on the mk2 GS though? If that snaps its gonna be ugly.... :ohmy::crying::crybaby:

:zee:

http://www.mkiv.com/manual/manualtt/engine...iption/emd3.JPG

This is from the engine workshop manual for the 2JZ-GE, 2JZ-GTE engine. Half way down the page it talks about the piston depressions to avoid interference so there is no real problem with a cam belt break, other than breaking down and needing a tow to home/garage.

The drive belt normally starts to make a noise and you can see cracks in it before it breaks. Again no damage will be done provided you stop the engine as soon as the warning light comes on, otherwise you will overheat the engine as the water pump will not be operating.

Thanks Mat. Jac, Loz and Colin.

Have the belt, and awaiting my friendly mechanic who has been reading up on GS300 belt change. Wants me to find out about a 'tensioner roller' which he reads is necessary if the car has done nearly 100k without a cambelt change.

Perhaps someone out there can enlighten me.

By the way should I start a new entry in the forum as this one is getting quite long!?

mervt ;)

Don't know of problems with the tensioner roller. Once the belt comes off you will be able to tell if it spins freely. You need to tension it correctly to get the correct tension on the belt which should be measured using the correct equipment.

This link shows the procedure, it's for a Supra but the engine is basically the same - I would check the tension requirements are still the same as this is from a 1995 manual

http://www.mkiv.com/manual/manualtt/timing...ment/index.html

It's not a easy job, I think the radiator needs to be removed to gain access?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links