Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Morning All,

Having taken my '06 GS300 to work the past few days, I've noticed on poor surfaces I'm getting quite bad tramlining and pulling left and right. When I got home last night, I checked the tyre pressures, fronts were OK, rears were a tad down on the 35F/36R figure. Still bad this morning. I wasn't sure whether to post this in 'Brakes and Suspension' or 'Wheels and Tyres', so I posted here thinking it would catch someone who'd had this before on this car. The car tends to wander slightly at motorway speeds too.

The car has oldish, worn tyres and for this I got a discount on the car, the dealer did offer to put a set of budgets on but I didn't want those. Question is, is it likely to be tyres, or is there a chance the geometry is out? I will be getting both done very shortly, hopefully at Wheels In Motion if I can arrange to be there, but someone please tell me this isn't a character of the car?

Edit - Would probably have helped if I mentioned the car is fitted with 245/45/18's (8x18?)....

Very likely to be your tyres on the front, if they are badily worn on the edges it effect them quite badly, trust me.. i lost a luxus once because of badly worn edgrs on the front tyres.

Front tyres shot, my GS450h is a real handfull when the front tyres are old(30,000 ish) still good tread but un drivable! I had bad problems with Pirelli Zeros so switched back to Dunlops, no more bother but now allways fit new tyres to the front and run old ones off on the rears.

• 2 weeks later...

My GS300 used to do a very passable impersonation of a Blackpool tram at every opportunity. When it came time to replace the tyres i changed all 4 to Bridgestone and the handling was much better but was pulling to the right. I had the geometry done and it now goes in the direction that i want it to. The only negative now is that there is noticeable tyre noise whereas before it was like a library inside the car. Hope that helps.

Hi Hunslet, what sort of tyres were you using previously that made it 'library-like'?

I've noticed having notched up 1200+ motorway miles last week that at motorway speeds and road surfaces, it's really not too bad, it's just at 30-40mph through small towns and villages with appropriately bad and patched road surfaces that it's worst. It really pulls form side to side. Not good. I need to get it shoe'd ASAP, I know.

I wonder about the suitability of those Pirelli's, the first time I commuted to and from work, when getting home, I checked the front tyres as they felt like the sidewall was rolling around. Sure enough they looked low on pressure, they were nearly running on the sidewalls. They were, however, running at 36psi, as I believe from the door sticker they should be.

I have one Dunlop on the OSR (it was replaced earlier this year singularly to pass the MOT... :( ), and the sidewall profile looks much better on that one, much squarer.

I called the technical department at Pirelli asking about the problems I was having with P Zeros only to be told these tyres are not tested on or recommended for these cars yet my GS was supplied by a Lexus centre on Pirelli tyres. Avoid !