Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Front Brake Rattle? Any Ideas

patrick2007

Hi

I notice I have a distinctive rattle coming from the front end of my Lexus is250

I have already brought it to Lexus Sw*ndon.. they agreed that there is a rattle but didn't think it was brake related??

The reason I think it is the brakes / discs.. when you drive over joints in the road surface or over any slight bump, you can hear a clunky metal / rattle noise coming from the front end.

If you drive over the same bump again with the brakes slightly pressed... there isn't a rattle?

Lexus have already shimmed and replaced the retaining clips on the pads (they also put on loads of copper grease)

I have only clocked up circa 4000 miles on the car since I purchased it - but is an approved used Lexus (about 62k in total on the clock)

On my own investigation, I noticed fairly significant wear on the front discs, does anyone know the minimum thickness for the front Lexus discs? they are original Lexus discs from what I can see.

I would really appreciate your help.. Its a shame but this little problem is taking the enjoyment out of my new car! (new to me)

Unfortunately it is not the only problem I have had with the car though! Lexus I am disappointed!!

I have previously owned Toyota's for 13 years (never had any problems) I wish I could say the same now!

Hi Patrick

It sounds like it isn't the pads if the dealer has checked everything. Could possibly be play in the calipers.

The minimum thickness is normally stamped on the rotors somewhere, I believe it is 25mm.

The issue is a minor one mainly due to wear, hopefully your other problems weren't big issue either, but in general the build quality/reliability of Toyota/Lexus has suffered during 2005 - 2011, hopefully the new models turn this around.

Hi Colin,

Thanks for you help.. I will check the side of the disc

I hope it is a minor problem! although it does make quiet a racket when you drive around..

I don't know if you would class the other problems as minor.. excessive tyre wear (already had to change a full set)

Keys stopped communicating with the car (so had the receiver and keys were replaced)

Paint on my alloys have started to flake, quite heavily!

Intermittent knocking noise from engine (when you start the car)

On top of all that not great customer service!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links