Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Recently Changed All Brake Discs

Kiptan

Afternoon,

Due to a noise coming from brakes I've recently (2 1/2 months) ago had them all replaced by a independent garage.

I've noticed there is a considerable amount of bright orange rust on the part of discs that the pads do not touch. I've spoken to an engineer at Lexus Hatfield who says it's normal but I've looked at several other brand cars, even 04 plate BMW and they have no rust on them at all.

Have I been given dodgy brake discs?

Thank you for any advise you can offer

2012_07_11_13_34_02.jpg

upload photo

Hi no you havent mines similar,some have the hub bit coated/painted and some dont,its the uncoated/unpainted ones that tend to show rust.

Yep, the discs are probably fine. They just won't be zinc-coated, hence the surface rust.

I replaced my rear discs recently with a reputable brand (Brembo), but the "bell" on them still turned orange quite quickly. It really spoiled the look when my wheels and the rest of the car was clean.

Anyway, it annoyed me enough to do something about it...

So, one weekend I cleaned up the hubs with a wire brush and some brake cleaner, then brushed on a couple of coats of very high temperature paint. Once that had dried, I laid on a few coats of black Hammerite to complete the job. The VHT paint was probably an unnecessary step but since I had some to hand, I just used it anyway. The end result was pretty effective and smartened the car up no end. Two months later and there's no sign of the rust coming back.

Yea, the rust is pretty common. Just remove your wheels, sand of the worst of the rust and paint it with some high temperature brake/exhaust paint. Remember to cover the braking surface with masking tape(Important!)

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd update this with what I have done in case it may help anyone else.

I decided to use hammerite silver straight to rust. Sanded down as much rust as I could, masked the contact area and painted with two coats. Here is the result which was done over a month ago now.

2012_09_04_08_27_40.jpg

2012_09_04_08_27_44.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links