Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Revised Suspension Setting

Steve2012

I am looking to buy a CT200h, but I know Lexus revised the suspension in reaction to complaints over the ride.

Does anybody know when this happened and how could I tell?

All I have managed to find out is that it changed for model year 2012. I test drove a 12 reg car yesterday, but do not know if this was the revised model. The car a drove was the SE-L Premier which is the model I want. And yes it was quite firm, but not as bad as I was expecting.

I need to know as my local dealer said he could source a car within a couple of weeks if needed so I want to make sure I'm not getting the earlier model that has been sat in a compound somewhere.

I am not sure how they can source a car so quick. I think he said even a factory order would only take a couple of months...... I am used to Audi 3 to 4 months.

Thank you

I havent heard of a general suspension revision across the CT 200 range. There has been a revision of the Fsport variant quite recently which was something to do with modified spring rates and a lateral damping system but I have yet to learn of a revision to the SEL premier or any other variant.

I think the suspension tuning happened before release. Magazines did early reviews of our car which weren't too complimentary of the handling and ride. They're probably still out there on the interwebs somewhere giving our cars a bad name.

Anyway - whatever was done between those pre-release set ups and the ones that hit the road right from the early sale cars did the trick, my 2011 registered in March CT handles excellently. On my test drive, I was comparing the handling to the Puma I had before my last car (Focus ST170 - very disappointing handling). And that handling pretty much sold the car.

But - make your own mind up with the handling and ride, people have very different preferences for how they want their cars to go around corners :phone:

Getting a car quick - I bought mine as a 6 months old exdemo. It was a choice between waiting 2-3 months for my New Shiny to come over from Japan or getting a 6000 mile one within a week. I'm happy with my choice - my CT was pristine when it was handed over from Lexus Cheltenham and it was already through early run in.

Thank you for your replies.

The dealer I visited was very open when I asked about the suspension and said that changes were made to answer criticisms of the ride . I did wonder if the changes were made after the press cars.

As for handling, well I am a pretty sedate driver and never push my cars, I am more interested in comfort and economy, hence the interest in the CT.

I currently drive an A3 on 17" wheels, but standard non sport suspension and although initially the CT did feel firmer, it felt very well built and confident on the road and very comfortable.

The sales guy said for me to come back again once I had driven the new A3 in September and have the car for a few hours to get a real feel for the car as the test I had in the CT was in the pouring rain and near to rush hour.

I feel I have to try the new A3, but I think I will be ordering a CT SE-L Premier in Langdon Bronze with the cream leather :)

• 2 weeks later...

Strange as I hadn't heard anything about this but just saw this on Which? site: http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/our-cars-lexus-ct200h/259968

"We're driving a 2013-model-year CT200h next week. It features retuned suspension that is claimed to provide a better ride. Considering how poor my car is on all surfaces, I can't wait to feel the difference."

Strange as I hadn't heard anything about this but just saw this on Which? site: http://www.whatcar.c...s-ct200h/259968

"We're driving a 2013-model-year CT200h next week. It features retuned suspension that is claimed to provide a better ride. Considering how poor my car is on all surfaces, I can't wait to feel the difference."

I will keep an eye on that with interest. :phone:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links