Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice Needed Please - Hit From. Behind :-(

So today I was parked in some services. I reversed out of a parking space put my brakes on whilst I engaged drive on my auto box then I felt I thud from behind. Turns out some woman in a range rover decided to reverse in to me

92fc63b3.jpg

ee2ae5ef.jpg

88ec7e43.jpg

I'm gutted. The woman was very apologetic and we swapped details. She said it was a company car and she was goin to get on to her insurers today. I didn't mention anything about contacting mine as I didn't believe it was my fault.

What do I do now? I've never had an accident before. Do I wait for her insurers to contacte or do I call her so I can get in contact with them. I thought about taking it to a garage to get a quote and seeing if she wanted to pay me cash as I don't mind a long as it gets fixed. Typically the was only a tiny scratch on her car where as I've got dents and scratches on 3 different panels

Hi,

First of all I would be very upset and can imagine the horrible feeling you are having.

As I have experienced an accident in my Lex IS200 in exactly the same colour :phone: I can assure you go through insurance its a much better result for the look of the car as insurance repair is done to a higher standard rather than a normal bodyshop hence the reason why a bodyshop has to be accredited to carry out repairs. Not only do you get the better result, it is also illegal not to inform your insurance company, whether you were at fault or not.

The other aspect to take into account is if you do not inform your insurance company/underwriter (will tell you in your policy which one to contact) the other driver could blame on you so tell your insurance company ASAP as people can be very deceptive just so they are not at fault. to some it up in one very simple sentence,

INFORM YOUR INSURANCE

Many Thanks

Simon

sorry about your car !! its up to you if you want to really go via insurance companies. the damage does not look too bad just the rear light needs replacing and the boot thud needs pulling out and bumper neeeds a little paint so all in all not that bad you could get a quote from a good body shop and let the woman fork out the bill. you could give her the option of either going through her insurance which will result in her insurance going up or just accepting a written quote from you from the body shop to pay for the repairs this way both parties will avoid thier insurance companies and both your premiums will not shoot up when they due renewal. sometimes doing the right thing buy informing your insurance companies would rather result in higher premiums. all up to you tho!!

u can inform your insurers and say that you are letting her insurance handle all costs, you can then decide who fixes your own car so you get a proper job done, and her insurer will cover it, I had a similar incident and used a company called accident exchange and they gave me an IS250 while RRG did my repairs, the other chap's insurers tried to make a fuss because I took an IS250 hire car instead of their offer of a mondeo, but they agreed to pay as it was their drivers fault, ball is in your court, plain and simple

As others have said let your own insurers know.

Dependant on who you are insured with (probably most of them) they may have a "Dedicated Claims Line" in other words they will pass your details onto a Claims management company who will "Handle all aspects of your claim"

The 1st person to contact you will probably be a solicitor for that "Personal Injury Claim' "Suffered whiplash Sir?" and then they will allocate a "Claims Advisor" who will organise the vehicle to be inspected and repaired at one of their "Approved Repairers"

There will then be another company that will want you to have their "Loan Car" which is actually a "hire car".

This process goes on for weeks/months as they then make more money.

My advice is to contact the 3rd party's insurers directly who should be aware of the accident and deal direct, find yourself a good bodyshop and get a repair quote, ask for a cash settlement from the 3rd party insurer's ( I even got extra cash for not wanting a hire car!) Then get the repairs done.

The damage doesn't look too bad,the dent will knock out, the rear cluster can be replaced and the bumper removed,repaired and resprayed but via insurance they will be looking at new rear panel, new rear bumper and cluster + labour + VAT, now we are heading towards a write off cat D!

I had mine done at a local bodyshop near Alfreton.

Thanks for the replies. I contacted her and the damage on her rangerover comes to £100. Had 3 quotes for mine and the cheapest is £612 not inc the light cluster and itll be a good job as I've used them for the missus's car before. Anyhow, she is happy to give me cash to pay for my repairs therefore not needing to get insurers involved.

She's even going to pay for TWO new rear light clusters :-)

Hmmm now which ones to get, the satin ones (04 on) or aftermarket with LED, decisions

• 2 weeks later...

good to know. as I confirmed sometimes there is no point getting insurance companies involved as the damage was not too severe just a couple of touch ups here and there...bet she was glad to pay cash rather than get her insurance involved cus her premiums would have been more than the £600 she will be paying for your repairs. splash out and go led's after all you not paying for it ...

I'm sure you would have covered it, but make sure you get the money before getting the work done- I wouldnt be keen on letting her settle the bill once its been done...

(in case she changes her mind and then you are left to foot it and denies it was her- 'if you havent told your insurance co already' you mighthave ajob getting it sorted).

J

I'm sure you would have covered it, but make sure you get the money before getting the work done- I wouldnt be keen on letting her settle the bill once its been done...

(in case she changes her mind and then you are left to foot it and denies it was her- 'if you havent told your insurance co already' you mighthave ajob getting it sorted).

J

She sent me a cheque and didn't want to get it repaired until it had cleared which it will on fri so taking it in then. I could've got it repaired out my own pocket but didn't fancy the cheque bouncing and then doing loads of chasing

• Like 1

She sent me a cheque and didn't want to get it repaired until it had cleared which it will on fri so taking it in then. I could've got it repaired out my own pocket but didn't fancy the cheque bouncing and then doing loads of chasing

No reason for it to bounce, the cheque is virtually an admission that she was at fault. What surprises me is that she is happy to pay herself when it was a company car she was driving!

£600+ is a bargain really - by the time you consider the excess she would have paid and the amount renewals would have gone up not surprised she sent cheque with no quibble, not even any stupid whiplash claim.

In today's world it's actually very nice to hear of a straight forward civilised outcome like this (Sorry for your car though :( )

£600+ is a bargain really - by the time you consider the excess she would have paid and the amount renewals would have gone up not surprised she sent cheque with no quibble, not even any stupid whiplash claim.

In today's world it's actually very nice to hear of a straight forward civilised outcome like this (Sorry for your car though sad.png )

Since it was a company car, according to the other party, I am still somewhat surprised that she would pay for the repair and not let the company insurance cover it!

• 4 years later...
On 22 August 2012 at 7:46 PM, dave1 said:

Since it was a company car, according to the other party, I am still somewhat surprised that she would pay for the repair and not let the company insurance cover it!

Yes. I'm surprised too. I can only think that she's had one or two previous claims on her company car insurance and wanted to avoid yet another or the company has a massive excess due to its poor claim record and it was cheaper to pay £600 than say a £1k excess. It may well be that the company is till covering the £600 bill