Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

0-60 Time Of Is300

To cut a long story short I decided to do 3 0-60 runs in my IS300. Now Lexus say it'll do 0-60 in approx 8.2 secs. But on all 3 runs I did it in around 7 secs. The only thing not standard is a powerflow cat back exhaust, but that's not for performance just a bit more noise :-)

I put the video up on YouTube to prove it

(mods please delete if this breaks any rules, not done intentionally)

Is it just me being biased or was that quicker than 8.2? I was on a flat road not going downhill :-p

think you must have underestimated your times. if you watch carefully you took off at 0:05 and hit 60mph at 0:11 . when i was in school my maths teacher told me 11 - 5 is not 7 :D . i guess i wasnt dreaming when i confirmed in a thread Lexus lied about the true performance of the 2JZ powered IS300. a manual 330i BMW is down as 6.5secs and this automatic is still quicker. always knew it performed like the V8 GS430 but guys on here thought i was going mad.

IS300 is not a slow car and you have proved it.

I think Martin is allowing for the possibility that the speedo over-reads and he does say "around 7 seconds". BTW, when I went to school, my English teacher told me that a new sentence began with a capital letter. lol

yes i know all cars do over read thier speedos but this test was going by Lexus quote of 8.2 secs and to clock it 2.2 seconds quicker is a lot of time performance wise. so i definately wasnt seeing things when i confirmed i could hang with some high-end performance cars I shouldn't have. and wait until it hits 4th when gear ratio is set at 1.0 ..what a train :D

oh and i prefer using lower case letters cant be asked to use CAPS Lock key.

like I said before John the is300 is faster then people think... don't forget it is the engine that was in the NA supra's from the 90ties and even then they didn't put the right times down ... still can't get my head around that why would they do that other then getting their cars with bigger engines sold???

Toyota/Lexus lies about performance figures of thier Yamaha built GE engines. this is another stock Celica 190 (2ZZ-GE) clocking 5 secs when the book says 7.2secs.. if you watch he start off at 0:09 and hits 60 at 0:14. I think they intentioanlly do this so bigger engines in thier line up can sell aswell as fooling insurance companies so they dont hike up the premuims. imagine how much an insurance quote would be if they found out the celica 190 hits 60mph in 5 secs dead??

Given that the Lexus figures are for 0 - 62 mph, your timing increments are 0.6 second steps and your speedo error is likely to be as much as 4 or so mph optimistic; your runs are fairly close to an equivalent of 8 or so seconds for 0 - 62 mph - maybe a fraction faster or slower. Sorry, but your experiment isn't accurate enough to prove it to be any better. You would need a track, proper timer & accurate speed-measuring equipment for that.

The IS300 is no slouch and gains over say the BMW330i by the faster automatic gear changes but looses more a by a slower "racing start" - and because the IS300 auto-box is much less mechanically efficient than a manual box is probably a little slower when measured by standard methods. For some parts of the whole speed band the IS300 will beat other cars because of its gear ratios and for other parts it will not because it is limited by modest power.

Neither is exactly rapid by today's standards but that doesn't stop the IS300 from being a fine, comfortable and luxurious, fairly quick car for a surprisingly low cost.

fjcfarrar, youtube timing does not lie at 0:05 martin started from 0mph and was already doing 10mph and was doing 60mph at 0:11 so your comment above is just guessing so are you saying your ISF does 2.4 secs to 60 mph and the speedo error and timing increments pushes it up to 4.6secs as stated by Lexus? we both know it doesnt... youtube clock timing is accurate give or take + or - a thousand of a second depending on when one pauses the video at 60. car times in UK are measered from 0 to 60 mph. and both IS300 and Celica 190 deliver 60mph 2.2 seconds faster than thier stated time and i doubt the ISF does it in 2.4 secs.

Guys you have to take in concideration how the manufacturers do 0-62 in a clinicaly enclosed environment ... with specific loads on the car etc, fluids, and list goes on.

Ofcourse it does feel fast accelerating as drivers... and even faster if someone it a passenger.

However there will be times that the car will perform 0-62 in less than the manufacturer's figures

and some times it will be higher than the manufacturer figures.

All related to tarmac surface, friction, resistance, incline, tyre pressure, tyre makes, passenger/s on the car, weights... accuracy of the speedo and how well the needle is performing on that day if the cabin is cool, warm, cold, how the cluster feels like performing... there are so many if's and what's and again the list goes and goes on! lol

I would not rely on my speedo to call my self precise, I would not even rely on the cheap SatNav's we all have and use everyday (even some of them are worth £1000s) they are not made as a primary reason to measure speed but to navigate or other functions.

What we need is a graph printout that shows how the speed accelerates and peaks with the gear changes included. Then you will know how each car performs. But this can only be done with proper independed machines mounted on the car's wheels, engine OBD port etc to cross reference.

Our cars might have been designed to do 0-62 in 8odd seconds, but we owned them for x amound of years, they have different oils and viscocitys used and they are different wear and tear, therefore none of them side by side can bring out the same figures!

Just for a reference, Nissan with the handmade Skyline GT-R cannot give exact engine output figures for every engine as each performs different even when the come out from the factory line so they give the lower average figure of 480hp as many of us might have read, when magazines or other media have dyno'd them they output more than the factory stated hp.

PS John you must love a good old debate about the IS300 ;) :D :D

OK it does 0 -62 in 8.2 secs and its a very slow automatic car....but i for one only know the high performance petrol/diesel cars I have wiped the floor with in this IS300 and will leave it at that.

OK it does 0 -62 in 8.2 secs and its a very slow automatic car....but i for one only know the high performance petrol/diesel cars I have wiped the floor with in this IS300 and will leave it at that.

It is not a very slow automatic car, I think the automatic gearbox is way better in gear changes than the other similar tiptronic I have driven a Porsche Carrera S (07 plate) which I found furstratingly slow... and did not like it. Even the owner of the Porsche when we swapped cars noticed the Lexus gearbox was much better and the throttle response more sharp and instantneous.

But I do believe the manufacturers do use average figures for their 0-62, top speeds and BHP. It is more likely that many cars do exceed the "stated" manufacturer figures.

fjcfarrar, youtube timing does not lie at 0:05 martin started from 0mph and was already doing 10mph and was doing 60mph at 0:11 so your comment above is just guessing so are you saying your ISF does 2.4 secs to 60 mph and the speedo error and timing increments pushes it up to 4.6secs as stated by Lexus? we both know it doesnt... youtube clock timing is accurate give or take + or - a thousand of a second depending on when one pauses the video at 60. car times in UK are measered from 0 to 60 mph. and both IS300 and Celica 190 deliver 60mph 2.2 seconds faster than thier stated time and i doubt the ISF does it in 2.4 secs.

Youtube timing is not accurate to anywhere near a thousandth of a second. The display increments in 0.01 minute steps - which is 0.6seconds and this is only updated at the display rate of 50 frames per second. Because the incremental rate, the display rate and the You-tube master clock are not synchronous, each timing point has fractionaly more than 0.6 seconds of vagueness, totalling + or - 1.2 seconds for the overall measurement with no way of knowing where the true timing lies within these boundaries.

Add to this speedos which are subject to all sorts of errors but are legally required to never under-read, and is likely to over-read by 3-4 mph to secure enough margin to never under-read at that speed. Add to this a measurement of 0-60mph time that is actually meant to be a 0-62mph time means that the possible errors soon mount up, and the time is quite probably close to the stated 8.2 seconds.

This goes to show that you need to know how to interpret measurements to include what are known as uncertainties which as the title suggests represents the grey area which includes the range of true possible results for that measurement and gives a result which is a number +/- these uncertainties. In this case probably 8.2 +/- 2 or 3 seconds or putting it another way the answer lies between about 6s and 11s for 0-62 mph with no possible way to determine whereabouts without better measurement technique - which is almost certainly what manufacturers have available to them to arrive at the figure they can quote with reasonable confidence. There is nothing in it for them to get it wrong. Too fast & they will soon get caught out; too slow and they are underselling their product.

Given all that, the IS300 is a really nice car that goes well reliably and for a long time, and is also great to drive - but it is no ball of fire, and further to this, few drivers of true high-performance cars will find themselves drawn to compete with one, so relative performance is tough to verify.

Given all that, the IS300 is a really nice car that goes well reliably and for a long time, and is also great to drive - but it is no ball of fire, and further to this, few drivers of true high-performance cars will find themselves drawn to compete with one, so relative performance is tough to verify.

you might be right with all your figures above but both myself and Martin can confirm it feels more quicker than the 8.2 quoted and I must say drivers of high performance cars try it on most times! whats the point of them having a performance car if they cannot show it off to other drivers on the road? that was the main reason for driving a performance car.. they might aswell get a micra if they didnt. how many cars of equal power like GTR's, RS6's, M5's, M3's do other drivers of high performance cars bump into on UK roads on daily basis?? so that only leaves us owners of semi-performance cars for them to have a pop at when they get the opportunity...as only a few of them take it to track days anyway.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links