Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Auto To Manual Conversion

BradyJoh

might work out cheaper to convert from auto to manual but chances are it might not run reliably so why dont you just get a manual car as they are going for reasonable prices now on eBay, Autotrader. Lexus mechanical parts for a start are not ford prices..they are very very expensive to buy new unless all the parts above you mentioned are bought second hand and would you want to go through the hassle of buying these second hand without knowing if they are functionig reliably?? only to install them to find out?? would be more hassle than its worth. if you said you wanted to do a Turbo/SuperC'd conversion then fine would be worth every penny but auto to manual I personally will save my self the hassle /headache and just get a manual car already put together by Lexus from the factory. but thats what I would do tho...

I converted an auto Marina to manual many moons ago.

I had a complete manual car given to me, so all the bits were there, and in those simpler days, the job wasn't that bad to do.

But, despite you not wanting to hear this, I have to agree with the poster above.

Mechanically you might be okay, though at a price, but what would put me right off would be the far more sophisticated electrics.

Hats off to you though if you manage it.

Agree with both posts above! Seems to me to be a load off arse ache! Sounds like a huge job on the IS200! I'd think you'd be mad to attempt it if your not a professional mechanic! I paid £470 for a new clutch from Lexus so god knows how much it will cost you, especially if you have to pay somebody to do it or help!

I got my wife's IS200 manual for £1500, 120k on the clock! Can't get a cheaper, good Lexus than that!

Plus your forgetting the dash on an auto is different, you have te gear selector lights. What'll happen with them? Look a bit stupid on the dash of a manual? Honestly mate, too many electrics etc to take this job on!

If you do take it on and complete it successfully then fair play to you fella and post some pics as you go along :)

Ah okay. Well thanks for the info everyone. I would like to buy a manual from stock, but I'm in Australia and basically if I wanted a manual I would be paying about $4000 more for a decent is200 than what I got mine for, plus having to pay for plane tickets etc to go look at it and stuff. Atm there's only about 3 for sale within driving distance, which are $13000 or more, and I got mine for $8000 so it's a significant amount more.

But anyway, it'll be a little while before I seriously start considering it, so yeah still looking at what options there are atm :)

sounds like IS's are quite expensive in Australia compared to UK? not sure what you wanted to achieve if its the fact that you miss shifting gears or wanted a slightly quicker car?... if its the quickness you want then invest the extra $4000 you would have paid for the manual version into a Turbo or Super charger conversion and this would bump power to over 200bhp and you wont miss shifting gears cus it will be fast for a 2.0 litre even in auto form.

Yeah I thought about turbo or supercharging it, (I'd have to wait 2 years because of the license I'm on), but then that just brings me to the fact that the money I spent of turboing it I could have just bought an is300 since they're auto as well. Which I would like an is300, but then the fact is if I got one I'd then want to convert it to manual which will cost even more, so it's just like a big cycle really/: and yeah I would like an altezza, but so far (for about 7 months) I've seen 3 up for sale (currently I can only find 1), so there's really not much choice at all :/

So yeah there's my dilemma, I guess I'll just have to hold off on everything till I know for sure :(

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links