Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear Badges - Not Just Stuck On

Sterling

I am doing a couple of modifications to the rear of my car. Thought I would just let you all know that the words "Lexus" and "IS 220 d" have 6 locator pins. Therefore if you remove them, you will have to fill the holes and paint the boot lid.

• 2 weeks later...

For those wishing to remove the badges I would suggest you get hold of some aerosol "Label Remover" I get mine trade from CPC but no doubt it will be available to the general public on that well known internet auction site.

It will not damge the paintwork but spayed on it softens the adhesive making removal a lot easy and less risky than trying to prise the badge off directly.

A good lifting tool is one of those plastic spatulas you get with body filler, easy to slide under and soft enough not to mark the paint.

Bonus is once the stuff dries off the stickiness returns to the adhesive so they can be refitted back.

Smells of oranges too!

Not wishing to be seen as 'product placing' or the like, but Wurth Industrial Cleaner will do the same thing ( if any folks have access to it at work). Like all solvent based products try it on an unimportant area first!! :)

I have just replaced my number plates with a fine quality set from the very excellent Poole dealership. Fine service indeed, my thanks to Shirley and Andy. Can't understand why other dealerships made such a palava about it!!

My old plares were stuck on with the adhesive pads(not nice)...not drilled and screwed. Having prised them off carefully with a wooden spatula(and a cloth to protect the paintwork) you are left with the remainder of the pads stuck to the paintwork. By using the, ahem, material named above sprayed on to a stockinette cloth and then rubbing in a circular motion, I found the lot came off clean as whistle, with a little elbow grease.

The new ones have pads strategically placed, to keep the plate from rubbing the paintwork over time, but with the backing left on and then the plate is screwed into the fitments pre supplied on the vehicle. All looks spot on now.