Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1993 Ls400 Parking Brake Adjustment

madpete

I have just replaced all the brake discs and parking brake pads.The Parking brake has not worked too well since I have had the car..I have adjusted via the hole in the rear drums.However, now gone worse and wont stop the car from moving off.Is there another place on the brake cable that can be tightened or have the cables stretched??

thanks

Hi Pete

There is an adjuster located on the cable under the car somewhere.

When I did mine the adjustment on the drums was enough to get it working ok.

This is what it says about adjusting the parking brake in my Mk2 manual.

PARKING BRAKE

1. With a force of 66.1 lbs. (30 kg) push down on parking brake foot pedal while counting clicks. If 5-7

clicks are not counted, parking brake requires adjustment.

2. Fully release parking brake. Raise and support vehicle. Remove rear wheels. Remove adjuster hole plug

from rear hub. Install wheel lug nuts to hold rotor in place. Turn adjuster (expanding parking brake shoes)

until rotor binds. Turn adjuster back approximately 8 notches (until disc turns freely).

3. Install adjuster hole plug. Install rear wheels, tighten lug nuts to 76 ft. lbs. (103 N.m). Locate parking

brake cable adjuster under vehicle. Loosen adjuster lock nut and adjuster until parking brake pedal travel

is 5-7 clicks.

I hope this is of some help.

Having done this job with mixed results here are my findings.We did the shoes on my mark1 when I renewed the rear suspension bushes two years ago they were fine initially but the foot pedal had excessive down travel and came up as an advisory with mot .I followed the workshop manual instructions and adjusted the cable adjuster which is on the end of a single cable coming from the foot pedal, this adjuster then pulls on a horseshoe mid car in the propshaft tunnel.I then found the drivers side started binding when released.The cable from the adjuster to the brakes is a single cable sitting accross a horseshoe and when the adjuster is tightened up it tends to pull more on the drivers side,the solution is to release the cable too the brakes from the horseshoe and let it equalise the pull across the brake cable,then readjust, the problem is that the adjuster is in a pig of a place so you need someone to push down on the pedal whilst you manipulate the cable too the brakes so the pull is equal on both sides.The problems are that the cables stretch and also freeze up in their sheaves as they get older.

Thanks Guys

have tried the adjuster wheels inside the drum but still slack..No adjuster at the start of the two covered cables at rear

of car.Think Ambermarine may have the right solution and will look at a possibe single adjuster near the front of

the car...Yep, dont you know this aint going to be easy.

Will let you guys know outcome..Just hope the cable/s aint stretched!!

Many thanks again

According to the exploded diagram there are 4 parts to the parking brake cable, the front piece from the foot pedal to the equaliser which has the adjuster on it, from memory I think the adjuster is accessed by removing the centre arm rest.

The 2nd is the equaliser, this needs to be free to move and make sure the pull off spring is attached.

Parts 3 and 4 are the individual cables to each rear wheel.

Obviously everything needs to move freely for the parking brake to operate efficiently.

Sorry I cannot post up the diagram due to copyright.

Sorted..many thanks for the assistance.

Found 1 main adjuster under the car at the end of the single cable leading to the horseshoe.Had to remove plate to get access

There are 2 minor ones ( not necessary) on each of the cables to the drums.All free and moving smoothly.Plenty of room for more adjustment if necessary...So glad the cables are not stretched.

Again..many thanks to all you guys for the help

• 4 weeks later...

I also had trouble with the parking brake binding on the drivers side. The difference with mine was that the brake didn't actually work on that side, just on the pass. side. This was caused by the cable having seized in the sheath just where the cable enters the brake assy. The seal had broken and road muck and water ( a deadly mix) had entered the cable and gummed it all up. To fix it, I peeled the rubber cover on the cable back and then used a knife to split the plastic cover on the cable back about 6 inches. Then by bending the cable at sharp angles I was able to flush all the gunk out using a silicon oil spray. This freed the cable off and the brake now works great.( Bear in mind, I had to take the cable out of the brake assembly to do this which involved completely dismantling the parking brake.) I sealed it all up again using a bicycle inner tube, glue and cable ties.