Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Difference Between Is 220D Sport And Is220D Se

Hi! I appologise if this has already been asked. I searched before posting but couldn't findd it. I am looking to buy my first lxus is 220d but having done some research i am quite confused to be honest. i like two cars, one of them is 220d sport and the other one is se multimedia. i think multimedia means it has builtin sat nav etc right? but what are the other major differences please?

Cheers

The model year is important here as to what you get, but the basics are kind of:-

220d Sport has a modified gearbox, so it is meant to be slightly racier. Apparently it is a bit quicker on the uptake of speed but the trade off is poorer mpg return. At least, this is what I was told by an owner of one. My Se 220d returned much better mpg than the Sport version. His Sport got 32 mpg my SE220d got 40 mpg and 50+ on a trip using cruise control.

220d Multimedia, check out if it is an SEL MM. If it is it has all the bells and whistles. Sat nav, Mark Levinson DVD/stereo, Full leather/Electric pack with memory settings, illuminated scuff plates, rear electric blind, etc. For the Sat Nacv check if it is UK or Europe. Kenny( known as STERLING) on this forum can help you out here.

Hand on heart..... if you are not doing loads of miles look at the 250 petrol. I've just switched!! You need to be aware of the Head Gasket issues with the Diesel variant. Read the posts on this forum. I'm not dissing the diesel in any way.. don't get me wrong I had one... I had some issues...THEY WERE RESOLVED by Lexus. My Diesel was a very reliable and frugal motor. Others have fared worse. Better to understand than not!!

Lexus have not dropped the diesel variant without a reason for doing so....fingers being burnt comes to mind!

Normski

If anyone else cares to offer, feel free to blast me from the sky.

I own the sport and the difference is the gearbox, the sport is fully loaded, the only thing it doesn’t have is the rear blinds, the gearbox has better gearing than the standard 220d which means you can use sixth gear without breaking the speed limit, the trade-off is the car is less economical both on a run and around town. On a run I get around 35 mpg and around town I get in the mid 20’s, admittedly I do have a heavy right foot but even driving like miss daisy doesn’t really improve it that much. The diesel is a good car but I would strongly recommend getting the Lexus Warranty as part of your purchase, as both I and Normski have come to appreciate, it will save you thousand’s in the long run as that’s what it cost to repair the diesel when it goes wrong.

The difference is in the rear differential. The final gear ratios are different. There are two versions for sport, 2.937 and 3.266 and SE/SEL is 2.474. Higher ratio means more revs at any given speed than lower ratio, for example say... ratio of 3 would be 2500 rpm at 50 in fourth gear and ratio of 2 would be 2000 rpm at 50 in fourth gear. The numbers are not correct, I just wanted to illustrate the principle. This means faster acceleration with higher ratio, but lower top speed (unless both versions are electronically limited, which they are not) and worse fuel consumption (theoretically). At 30 mph, you could actually drive in fourth with sport final drive ratio and you'd have to go in third with SE/SEL. That could turn the consumption the other way around.

• Thanks 1