Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Directional Tyres...

matt-c

Mmmmmm interesting point, must admit I wouldn't have given that a second thought, but since having looked at mine the fronts have inside and outside written on them .... How does that work then ??? ... Unless its the way the water gets pushed out !

Tyres designed to rotate in one direction only or with an asymmetric tread pattern must be fitted the right way round

Standard car tyres have a symmetrical tread pattern that is the same across the whole width of the tyre. The tread pattern on an asymmetric car tyre changes across the tread with different parts adapted for particular functions.

The outside edge consists of large stiffer tread blocks which help with cornering. The inner tread blocks are smaller and designed to shift water and improve wet grip. The middle of the tread usually has a continuous rib to help straight line stability.

Asymmetric tyres must be fitted the right way round on the wheel to benefit from the tread block arrangement. The sidewalls will be clearly marked.

Directional tyres

Directional tyres usually have a chevron or arrow pattern in the tread and are designed to work in only one direction of rotation.

Directional tyres disperse water that builds up in front of the tyre more effectively, reduce road noise, and improve directional stability.

They must rotate in the right direction and this will be clearly marked on the sidewall of the tyre.

If a directional tyre is fitted the wrong way round, the tyre won't be dangerous, but you won't gain any of the benefits of it's design.

Incorrect fitting of both asymmetric and directional tyres is a reason for MOT failure.

Some high performance cars are fitted with directional and asymmetric tyres. These must be fitted the right way round on the wheel and on the correct side of the vehicle.

From the aa site

Yeah I get what directional tyres are (plus I work for The AA)

So what do I do then if I get a puncture on the drivers side, seeing as my spare is directional for the passenger side? Don't really wanna scrap the tyre, since it's brand new (still has the white print on the tread detailing the size etc). Don't want to ruin or prematurely wear the spare out by running it on the wrong side - or run the risk of loss of grip because the tread is rotating the wrong way

Whats the thought on Tyre Weld stuff? Never used it before, and to be honest not sure I'd want to since all four alloys had a refurb and fresh paint not too long ago (I don't know if the tyre weld stuff is a bitch to get off or anything) There's actually a can of it in the boot - came with the car - which is the only reason I ask (pretty sure it hasn't been used)

I think if it was a perfectly nice day, like today, then I'd run it home on the spare if it was facing the wrong way, but not sure what the effect would be if it was wet or worse, snowy

As said before your spare is really just that. A spare. Unless you are lucky enough to need it on the correct side. If you need it on the wrong side just take it easy and get your dud tyre replaced asap. With regards to tyre weld I would virtually never use it unless it was absolutely the last resort.

I think if it was a perfectly nice day, like today, then I'd run it home on the spare if it was facing the wrong way, but not sure what the effect would be if it was wet or worse, snowy

Thats why I pay for membership of RAC!