Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Buyer Looking A Mint Lexus

Hi after much consideration and gathering info on the is200 I've decided im gonna buy one within the next 2 weeks. What do you guys recommend I look out for when buying one , what is200 model should I go for, what colour you think is the nicest. I've around £1500 to spend and hope to be part of the Lexus owners club soon ;)

All versions are good. Colour is whatever floats your boat. I like the midnight blue. The LE is the best equipped but is only in darkish metallic silver & has HID headlamps. The sport has LSD and is a little lowered - features which are not really worth extra money. Very late SE's have leather or part leaher seats. Look for FSH and good appearance inside & out, everything working properly, no nasty clunks or noises and reasonably evenly worn tyres plus a sensible reason for the owner selling. High mileage is not a worry. You will end up with a smooth ultra-reliable car with looks that have aged very well - but do not expect high performance nor great economy - neither of which you can improve except at high expense. If you want a bit more performance, go for an IS300 - very good Auto only, it is not massively worse for economy and is even better equipped.

Thanks for the info mate I like them in white but are hard to come by. Il more than likely go for a sport or se. How quick are we talking what car would you compare it too in terms of quickness. Basically I'm just bout to turn 26 want a nice car for cruising and the comfort but def don't want it to be sluggish

For £1500 you won't be looking at low mileage "mint" cars - unless you happen upon an bargain exception (they are out there, just not easy to find). Average mileage for these are now about 100k or so.

As for performance, they aren't quick. On paper they are quicker then a C Class 1.8L Kompressor, but in real life, the Merc feels faster. Golf Mk4 GTi (1.8L Turbo) is a second faster to 60.

If you want cruising and comfort, IS is a good choice - if I were you I'd be seriously looking at the IS300. It's faster, more power, and the auto box (5speed auto in the 300, only 4 speed auto in the 200) is supposed to be a very nice box - plus it has tiptronic so you can have a clutchless manual for when you want a bit of fun on the twistys, or leave it in auto for slogging through town and up and down the motorways.

6sp manual in the 200 is a nice box, but it's a lot of work as the ratio's are very close, so you change gear a lot to keep it in the (+4k) power band.

Economy in both is rubbish. Factor about 20mpg if you like to rev it up now and again, 25-28 if you drive like Miss Daisy everywhere.

I like mine, but do kinda regret going for the manual. I decided the 4sp auto wasn't worth it, so chose manual, and then thought if I'm going manual I might as well have the Sport (which is nice). But now I'm thinking more about finding a tidy IS300, with the 5speed auto/tiptronic box. The 300 is basically the same as a 200 Sport - tinted rear windows, lower, slightly stiffer suspension, chrome goodies here and there, rear spoiler, and an LSD in the back too (the auto SE doesn't have an LSD), but on top of that you also get;

Full leather

Photochromic rear view mirrors (automatic antiglare)

Speed sensitive power steering

Front armrest (trust me, it matters!!!!)

HID headlights

Chromed stainless steel exhaust pipe finisher

VSC (Vehicle Stability Control)

EBD (Electronic Brake force Distribution)

BAS (Brake Assist)

For me, my money's on a 300, but the bottom line really comes down to whether you want manual or auto. If you want manual, then your limited to a 200 (the S, SE, and Sport all had manual, with the S and SE having auto too - no auto in the Sport), and if so, you might as well get the Sport. If you want an auto, you'd be better going for a 300 - 5speed instead of the 200's 4speed, plus the 300 has tiptronic/e-shift. All have cruise control too.

Then on the other hand, you have something like this;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280964196874;jsessionid=005AD576A43329C8EE301072200BA54A?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D280964196874%26_rdc%3D1#ht_500wt_1203

IS200 Sport, with TTE supercharger kit. The TTE supercharger was designed specifically for the IS200 by Toyota, and isn't an "aftermarket conversion kit" as such - it's the proper thing. Power increases to a little over 200, so is on par with the IS300 (tiny bit less power than the 300's, but then the 300 is a tiny bit heavier).

Cheers for the info def think il go for a sport in any colour if I can't get a white one I will prob have a full respray to have it white as they are gorgeous that colour.

Cheers for the info def think il go for a sport in any colour if I can't get a white one I will prob have a full respray to have it white as they are gorgeous that colour.

have this done if you want a pearl white colour in your new to be IS

http://blog.ttints.c...46-pearl-white/

oh.. and skip IS200 and go IS300 if its speed you want or should i say drivability in the 'Torque' department..IS200 is not slow car per say but Lexus made the chasis so good which from what i gather from IS200 owners makes it feel slow but for a 2ltr non aided engine which revs to only 6000rpm 150bhp is good. if you are not used to driving a powerful car you can just start with IS200 for like 6 -12 months and see if it suits you. if you happy with it keep it if not sell and get an IS300 if you still not happy with 210 bhp just boost it.. but if not bothered with power and only want to travel in smooth silky 6 cylinder then IS200 SE will be your best friend..

I have mine for sale.... eBay link below. Although it may get taken down as not sure if is allowed

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-IS300-AUTO-2003-MOTd-TAX-FSH-CAMBELT-VGC-NO-SWAP-SWOP-WHY-/150900450736?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item23225e25b0#ht_1418wt_922

You won't find a better onE for the money on there! And I'm open to offers :-p

Absolute bargain!!

I still think £3k is nearer what it's worth as you say it needed nothing doing and was in mint condition.

Somebody got a real good deal!

Didn't help how there was another one on there a year older same colour, model etc with similar miles and aftermarket alloys for £2300 just 10 miles down the road! I knew mine was better though ;-)

Don't forget that the Sport has completely identical performance to all the other versions of IS200 - it just looks a little different because fractionally lowered, has rear tints and has LSD & perforated pedals - neither makes any difference in most situations. The sportiest thing about the Sport is the badge, but they still command a higher price which is something to consider with your budget. Plus if an IS200 is well-worn and hard-used; it will be a Sport although there are plenty of good ones..

White is rare, so a decent respray is a sensible but expensive option.

For trouble-free extra performance plus all the toys, think about an IS300. Being an Auto does not stop it being very much more sporty than the IS200 "Sport" and a bit more unusual.