Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Need An Advice On Quality, Quiet Tyres For My 2008 Rx350

sebster80

Hello everyone,

I need an advice on tyres.

I have a 2008 RX 350 and I need a new set of tyres.

Unusually car is on 17" wheel currently fitted with 235/60R17 102H tyres.

I've been looking around for a good tyres that are quiet and handle good in dry and wet weather.

I wouldn't mind downsizing to 225/60R17 99V/H as this is what this car should have had.

I do not mind the cost or brand.

I've checked all tyre review sites etc but opinions about the same tyre can vary from excellent to poor hence I cannot take it as a good source of advise.

I would like to know what's your experience with similar, not necessary the same, tyres and can you recommend one or two tyre models.

Please help!

Thank you very much in advance.

Hi Steve,

I know that on 17" rims they came with 225/60R17 Dunlop SP Sport 270.

I am considering this tyre but reviews aren't favouring it. Although it seams to be quiet the wear on it is excesive and it isn't good in the wet either.

My car when I bought it, second hand, had two sets installed 235/60 Nexian CP671 (front) and Kumho 789 plus (rear and spare suggesting this was it's original setup).

Nexian is very camber sensitive and I am not sure about their quality.

Kumho looks better, wear wise, even dough it is an older tyre.

Although I originally wrote that I do not mind brand, I would rather have something known and more popular than go with unknown, at least to me, brand.

Any views, opinions, anyone ?

Thanks again,

• 2 years later...

Michelin Latitude Tour HP (£110 plus fitting) Vs Goodyear Efficient Grip (£136 fully fitted) so prob similar costs when fitted..

Anyone experience of either of these on an Rx 350 with air suspension. Need a full set ... so opinions /advice welcome, currently running Bridgestone Potenza's but not getting great wear out of them, time for change !

Michelins rated at 69db and Goodyears at 68db so both considerably quieter than the B/stones. Seen a few favourable reviews of the Michelins but the GY's seem to be even quieter and tyre of the year award 2014..

cheers

G

Unfortunately tyre sound ratings meaning nothing. The official measurement is taken 1m away at the side of the road on a smooth surface. UK road surfaces generate a lot more noise and a tyre that is quite on a smooth road doesn't mean it is quite on a different surface, compared to another tyre that has a worse rating. Some tyre manufactures are designing their tyres to avoid noise being thrown out where the microphone is, to get a good rating. Unfortunately it means the sound is typically directed into the wheel arch, making it noisier inside the vehicle :(

hi... ok assuming noise levels are no worse than the bridgstones, which are actually ok...just not great wearing....ive seen a few reviews saying the michelins seem quieter (which appealed) and a bit softer ride without losing and feel or confidence. Anyone any experience of the Goodyears...or opinion on which might be the better choice ?

Cheers again

g

I've got Pirelli Zero Rosso on my GS and they are very noisy. I had really cheap Westlakes on my BMW, which were quiet and grippy in wet & dry.

It's a minefield, you buy quality tyres, thinking you're doing the right thing, only to find they're worse than the cheapies.

I found the Bridgestones to be reasonability hard wearing, but grip wasn't great and they were somewhat noisy. I used Continental Sport Contact 5 SUV on my 400h, much better all round expect I didn't keep the vehicle long enough to experience long term wear.

In terms of ranking Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 is currently the best tyre in the market. Unfortunately I don't think they do a profile as high as 60.

Arguably one of the best in performance but any tyre in the ultra high performance category compromises on wear, noise and comfort. Really not suitable for an RX, but excellent on an IS F.

• 2 weeks later...

Michelins. I have them now. There was a noticeable difference from the OEM dunlop Sp sport 270 in terms of noise and grip. Economy has improved by 2 mpg too overnight which is good considering old tyres give better mpg readings compared to a new one.

Also worth noting, they are m+s marked so theoretically should be better than a summer tyre in snow

Best bit - 4k miles and only 0.5mm wear lol. They'll be running for 48k miles before they need changing!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links