Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Potential Ls400 Gearbox Failure?

Phil, no I meant ALL the pipework from the pas reservoir, it was that which corroded through, the front cooler pipe, as it happens, was just about OK !!

But it all got replaced.

Malc

So quite a bit of pipework /hoses to replace - did you buy the complete part set from Lexus, or sourced from elsewhere or got in a Plumber as a lot of twists and turns. ? Dare I ask the cost of parts?

Agree Brian, change of ATF a good idea. My ATF is not as red as I'd like but doesnt smell burnt. I'm not a kickdown sort of driver., in fact I'd only use it if deperate to get out of a situation.

Stuart, didn't go the Lexus OEM parts route . just redid with flexi hoses and clips, sooooo much easier than frigging around with that convoluted mild steel abomination

Malc

Thanks Malc sounds like the way to go. Can you tell me, is it possible to remove the reservoir without taking off the serpentine belt and pulley? It may well be that rubber washer beneath it needs to be replaced.

Was going to buy a Seal kit but seeing the amount of work involved in taking apart the unit don't think I''m up for all that. I'd get a replacement if needed.

As usual looking for the minimum amount of work I can get away with!

oh! the hose does it have a psi rating?

BTW Amayama can't get a Radiator should anyone need one, as they are no longer stocked.

Thats the secret Malc.

My mechanic takes so long to send me the bill I usually can't recall what it was he did to the car? (April bill awaited!) - it is mentioned to remind me . He is very reasonably priced - only problem being for that he is so popular Brake pipe replacement is now set for the 17th August and i daresay he'll find he has to put it forward - not always his fault when you only have two ramps and parts turn up that are incorrect - hence my sourcing them in advance and having controlled patience.

W211 Mercedes E-class's are well known for this. The problem was that certain "valeo" radiators were poorly designed so as to allow engine coolant to leak into the gearbox oil, and vice-versa. There's nothing wrong with with running gearbox oil pipes through the radiator, so long as you do it properly smile.png

On the Mercs, the solution was to replace the torque converter and radiator only. The gearbox was otherwise undamaged. The problem made itself evident with a pulsing, or thrumming, running through the vehicle.

Yes - early Jaguar XK's used the same box and suffered same. Auto gearboxes used to be the most reliable transmission but seem to have become highly unreliable. Don't mention ZF...they are not fit even to write the word gearbox.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links