Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I think its to do with the cars chasis and drive train. Lexus made it so good it made people think its a slow performer compared similar 2 litre 4 and 6 cylinder cars out there. but on the road i doubt a 2.0 litre Accord, Alpha 156, or BMW 320i will perform any better than the IS200 as on paper they all have roughly the same bhp figure and thier power to weight figures are similar so difference will be thier gearing.

Others were also expecting a bit too much from the IS200 but they keep forgetting its not a 2.0 Civic Type R. A 2.0litre Toyota Altezza RS200 is a Civic Type R performance.

Does any one have the manual for dashboard lights and why would those flash? I am not sure it could be a problem however I have seen a light flashing between TRC and airbag lights. Although it happened only once when it was in gear one. Can anyone put me in the right direction?

Thanks

matt(mr know it all) if you read my original post i said INTAKE PORTS and not intake valves. VVTi varies the intake valves and ACIS varies the intake ports or should i say 'intake manifold' they are two different things and as a mechanic you should that valves are different from ports(manifold)..hope you dont end up breaking a customers car by changing valves instead of ports(manifold) :D . like i said previously the effect was like a supercharger but not quite.. in other words yes its not a full blown supercharger but gives a slight effect like one i.e. 'a kick' at a certain rpm where more power and torque is unleashed to the car. listen and read carefully to what people say before you start ranting ok.

Hahaha knoby. You are too funny! (ps, I'm not a mechanic, so there's no danger of me replacing valves on a customers car - but your concern is sweet)

Ok, tell you what - if you want to feel that your car has a supercharger "like" engine, then please do so. It actually only makes is funnier to me! :D

I don't quite understand your animosity regarding this, he was only pointing out what Lexus said, whether he believes it is neither here nor there, he was just passing on what they say about their own systems, whether the two systems are similar or completely different is irrelevant, lexus made a simile to try and make people understand in a very basic way how the effect of the potential increase in induction may feel, they were not quoting it as fact or describing exactly how it works.

Besides all that, he does have a supercharger on his car, so I would hope it does feel like he has a supercharger. But I would disagree with Lexus anyway, not based on your reasoning though, I would not choose their term to explain the increase in power, instead, it is what I would expect as speed and engine speed increases, more air is sucked in naturally and power is increased, that is how BHP is achieved. This car feels no different in its power delivery to any other NA I've owned, from 1.6L 4s, to 3L V6s, or even my current 528, which has a very progressive power delivery, I don't feel the effect that the double vanos offers, or atleast, there is no sudden increase in power as is normally claimed on this type of tech, the only time I've felt a kick in the butt is on turbo'ed cars (never had the pleasure of owning supercharged cars.)

All you guys ranting at what lexus says who cares? I just know the lexus is200 is a great car its super reliable and if you guys want real power buy a mitsu evolution and mod it and you will all see what true power there is behind a turbocharged engine.

Hey, I'm sorry if I annoyed anyone - I just don't humour fools is all.

(BTW, krisby1 - who has a Supercharger on their car?)

Noby does, atleast his signature says he has a TTE installed.

He has an IS300 with a TTE bodykit on it, not a TTE supercharger (and correct me if I'm wrong someone please, the TTE developed supercharger kit only fits the 1G-FE in the IS200, and not the 2JZ-GE in the IS300)

He has an IS300 with a TTE bodykit on it, not a TTE supercharger (and correct me if I'm wrong someone please, the TTE developed supercharger kit only fits the 1G-FE in the IS200, and not the 2JZ-GE in the IS300)

my apologies, you are right, and it does only say TTE kitted, not a TTE supercharger...and, no TTE s/c for the 2JZ, my haste caused me to go stupid momentarily.

Krisby1 no need to apologies mate …!!

matt I have a supercharger and no its not bolted to the side of my engine so don’t start moving your head from side to side looking for it when I pop my bonnet open because you wont find it…it hides in my engine block and they a big cylinders which can suck in 499.5 cubic centimetre of air which totals 2997cc when multiplied by 6 and each of my pistons can compress that air into a very small cylinder space at a high pressure of 10.5 :1 compression add fuel and a spark to it and just over 211 bhp is generated with 290NM of torque on tap. That is my supercharger made from a bigger sucking air pump (CC) and not from a bolt on. Oh and I also have ACIS to speed this process up when I hit 4300rpm…

why is my bigger sucking cylinder all of a sudden a supercharger?? Because its sucking in as much air and compressing in as much air very hard to match that of any other Supercharged engine out there generating just over 211bhp.

I wish I hadn't put TTE on my name now! I only have the body kit not the supercharger so please nobody get confused and I have never claimed to have a supercharger!

I only put TTE on the end of my name because chrisIS200Sport was already taken! Lol :)

Oh dear, you really do live up to your screen name don't you...

dont forget its not how power is made thats most important but its the end result(total power) thats most important... dont believe me?? a 2009 AUDI S4 Coupe is a 3 litre Supercharged engine making 330bhp now a 2009 INFINITI G37 Coupe is a 3.7litre naturally aspirated engine making 320 bhp...now where is the INFINITI getting its almost matching AUDI supercharged bhp figure from?? its from its bigger cc, cylinder bore size, cams, valves and compression ratio which are all working together to make Supercharged bhp figure. these two cars lined up side by side will peform similar on the road. there are two options to make the same kilowat of power have a bigger cc which sucks in huge amount of volume air and then compress it higher or have a smaller cc which will initially force the same volume of air as the bigger cc into the cylinder using the supercharger and then compress it higher... both cars are now generating roughly the same kilowatts of power at the crank.. the most important factor here is VOLUME i.e. amout of air in the cylinders and nothing else.

so you now know why i have a supercharger without a supercharger right :winky: . all down to the volume i can cram in my bigger bore cylinders..

To be fair though, that is not supercharging, that is just induction. And of course a bigger engine should produce more power, all depends on how efficient the engine is in converting the mixture to heat, i.e fuel and air detonation, air mixture, spark plugs, fuel quality, exhaust tuning, ECU mapping, compression ratio, rev limit, all play a big part. Heck, in NZ I had a 2.5L V6 in my 1995 Mitsi Diamante, put out 200bhp, and later I had a 1998 Mitsi Legnum 2.5 V6, but different engine, this only produced 160bhp. Some engines are tuned for low torque, some for top end power, some mid range punch, my 1999 528i seems to be progressive everywhere, low, mid and top end is all strong, the wifes IS quite weak low down, my old 2.3 V5 Toledo had 170bhp, not much more than an IS, but it was soooo much quicker, poop off a shovel in every gear. The wifes old 1.8 NA Seat Toledo was gutless everywhere, and drank petrol worse than the IS, obviously hugely inefficient in power and burning fuel. Had a Honda Inspire 2.5 straight 5 in NZ too, more low down power than the Diamante V6, but crap midrange, and once up and running, way down on power compared to the Diamante.

Another comparison is my 1998 1.6 Vitara jeep I had at work, pulled harder and faster than my colleagues equivalent 2.0 Vitara, but then I think his had been molly coddled as it struggled to rev beyond 5000rpm, as did mine when I first got it, but after a daily push to redline eventually the engine freed up and my Vitara was a much better car to drive, I reckon even since I've had my 528 it has freed up from daily visits to 6k. Engines are funny things, and how they are tuned, as well as numerous other factors all impact their performance and power delivery.

But please, saying that your bigger bore cylinders in the 300 is like a supercharger is crazy talk, its the way the engine was designed, and your car would be no more a supercharger than an is200, just because it is compressing more at combustion than an is200, does not make it a supercharger. Superchargers run an intake powered by the engine off the crankshaft that draw air in and direct, or squeeze the air between spinning rotors to compress it, increasing the density of air over what standard induction can do.

It does help the 300 that is has the Supra engine though, but I suspect at a lower compression ratio, as I believe the "GL" models had the non turbo, and faster models with turbos, I haven't looked into it, but I would have thought that turbo'ed versions would run lower compression ratios than turbo ones.

Out of interest too, the toyota altezza with the yamaha tuned red tops are only 2L fours, but they rev to 7500 and make 209bhp.

Krisby1 I know mate was just saying it was a supercharger due to the end result i.e the output bhp figure when compared to a supercharged engine making the same output bhp figure. power is power regardless of how an engine is aspirated or how the power is generated so a 211bhp high rever will pull as fast as a 211 naturally aspirated and those two will also pull as fast as Supercharged engine making 211bhp when car weights tyres and gearing ratio are equal between the three..I know how forced inductions work and all they are doing is increasing air occupied in a smaller cubic capacity to match that of a bigger cubic capacity...end result will be the same with all things being equal between the three differently aspirated cars..

so yes a supercharged is not physically bolted to the engines but the power delivery and bhp generated will be equal to a supercharged engine which makes the same power.

so yes a supercharged is not physically bolted to the engines but the power delivery and bhp generated will be equal to a supercharged engine which makes the same power.

Of a smaller capacity engine you mean?

I've not driven a supercharged engine, I was considering a Merc CLK with a supercharger for the Mrs, but reviews showed the Mercs to be woeful on reliability and rust, so opted for the Lexi instead, but yeah, I do understand that the power delivery is meant to be constant with a supercharger, unlike the sudden woomph of a turbo. My Cedric Cima turbo was awful, either on or off, as was my Skyline GT Turbo, but my old Ovlov 850T was pretty progressive through the whole range, those Swedes know how to tune a turbo.

yes of a smaller capacity engine i meant !! and i do agree people associate volvos as being a car grand dads drive but the T5's and R versions are insane! mainly the S60 R's those cars already come with 300bhp from stock that is enough to propel them to 60 in like 5 secs and 170mph if speed restricter is removed now thats porshe carrera territory no wonder Ford uses thier engines in thier RS and ST versions..

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links