Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Starter Motor?

JohnS Dorset

Hi ALL

I have a strange one, the other morning I tried to start my car (IS200 SE 2004) and it would not fire up, could hear the clicking of the relay and starter motor but would not fire.

Tried a few times and with headlights on and no dimming was noticed. My car is garaged overnight.

Got it started by pushing down my drive in reverse and bump started it. It started ok during the rest of the day and this morning started no problem.

My Battery is showing good charge and the blue indicator on Battery suggests good state of health.

I have noticed a bit of a whine (like electric motor/jet engine sound) that is noticeable inside the car but not outside.

Checked the belts and alternator all seem ok. Anyone else had this problem? I think my bump start may have cleared the contacts in the starter motor. Still got the whine but not as noticeable!

Regards

John S Dorset

The only thought that comes into my head is that the starter motor has not retracted fully and may be still engaged.

The whine that you might be hearing is the armature being spun by the engine.

I'm no engineer, so don't get alarmed by this, I'm probably way off the mark.

Thanks Rick

I have done a bit of research and think your diagnosis is probably correct. Car still starts with no problems after this incident. Due a service and MOT early Dec so will get it checked out then. Thanks for reply.

Mine is more of a whine and since my bump start the car has started everytime but still whines (more so after a long run). Odd thing happened yesterday though! I parked in multi storey and folded mirrors in using electric open/closer, when I got back into car to open the mirrors only the driver side engaged and opened. Closed them and tried again this time both opened. Car being serviced next week so will ask for checks. I think the symptoms of starter motor problems probably differ from car to car and what part is defective. Thanks for response though.

UPDATE: Turned out to be Battery in then end after all! New Battery fitted and no further problems (apart from the slight whine noise) - starter motor lubed and much better. Don't rely on the blue light indicator if you have one on the Battery!