Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Radiator Fans

FLEXUS K

Hi guys can anybody confirm that when you turn the A/C on the radiator cooling fans come on no matter what the engine temp is?

the reason i ask is i,ve just had a cam belt change (by a lexus tech) and today i was sat in traffic for a while and although the temp gauge stayed where it normally sits the fans never cut in after being in traffic for about twenty mins.

when i got home i opened the bonnet and turned the A/C on and no fans.

im pretty sure they used to turn on with the A/C Instantly.

im thinking since the belt change something is not right although the heater/ A/C is working ok and the temp gauge sits just below the middle where it always sits.

cheers Karl

Bear in mind the fans may not need to cut in with the present cold weather, also the AC compressor will not kick in if the outside temperature is 5 degrees or below even thoough the indicator shows it to be on I think this is to protect the condensor from freezing up.

If the engine is maintaining the correct temperature with no signs of overheating I wouldn't worry, just keep an eye on the gauge.

Bear in mind the fans may not need to cut in with the present cold weather, also the AC compressor will not kick in if the outside temperature is 5 degrees or below even thoough the indicator shows it to be on I think this is to protect the condensor from freezing up.

If the engine is maintaining the correct temperature with no signs of overheating I wouldn't worry, just keep an eye on the gauge.

Hi steve thanks for the reply.

i did think that today about the outside air temperature the car was showing 7 degrees outside today.

im pretty sure though when i used to turn the A/C on at least one fan would come on instantly no matter what air temp.

i,ll be keeping an eye on the gauge im O.C.D when it comes to my car. :)

cheers Karl

HI when i change the cam belt on these cars i remove the fans so just check that the fans wires have been reconnected

hi mate yeah i,ve checked the connections and both seem ok.

im gonna leave it running tomoz and check if they cut in.normally they come on within ten minutes of idling in slow traffic.

could do with somebody turning the A/C on and checking if any of the fans come on.

cheers Karl

Hi just checked mine the fans only run when the air con pump is engaged then the fans stop when the pump disengages

Hi mate thanks for checking.

i was pretty sure that when you turn the A/C on they turn on.

i,ll have to get them checked out.

not had time yet to leave it running to check the fans come on.

after arriving at work left it for 5 mins and no fans although temp gauge has been normal.

cheers again Karl

Hi guys problem solved.

left the car ticking over and only the left hand fan (passenger side) was working.

the plug on the drivers side fan was not fully connected.

now when i turn the A/C on both fans come on instantly as i thought in the first place.

the fact the drivers fan was not fully plugged in must have been causing the left fan not to come on with the A/C.

cheers for the advice Karl