Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200/300 Sport Lsd

noby76

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Btw guys are we still on topic of LSD , cos I really wanna it's my car hav it or not!

Hi Panya, I think it is safe to assume that you do have an LSD fitted to your car :)

Apart from the fact that yours is an IS300, and your VIN plate suggests that you have LSD fitted, the only other way to be sure is to actually take the diff apart and have a look at the internals.

Having identified that your car has LSD fitted, I guess the next question to ask would be "does the LSD still work properly?"

I still need to do a bit more reading on how the Torsen LSD works, but a clutch-pack LSD (as fitted in my Nissan Skyline), as well as a viscous LSD, typically work great up to about 100,000km, and then gradually lose their ability to "limit the slip" - so to speak.

The keyword here is typically - as always, the lifespan of the LSD depends heavily on usage, on how well the diff is sized for the vehicle, etc etc...

The aging mechanism is usually wearing of the clutch (in a clutch pack LSD), or degradation of the fluid (in a viscous LSD). So I'm curious as to what it is in a Torsen LSD...

well i have lost the will to live debating about a trim that never existed in the uk line up lol

on page 2 in one of my posts it says how the torsen lsd works... why do you think the lsd on your car is not working?

the mechanical torsen will only lock the diff if there is loss of traction on one of the wheels. Eitherwise the diff is going to be open and act like a non lsd one.

The Torsen differential* is a purely mechanical device; it has no electronics, clutches or viscous fluids.

­The Torsen (from Torque Sensing) works as an open differential when the amount of torque going to each wheel is equal. As soon as one wheel starts to lose traction, the difference in torque causes the gears in the Torsen differential to bind together. The design of the gears in the differential determines the torque bias ratio. For instance, if a particular Torsen differential is designed with a 5:1 bias ratio, it is capable of applying up to five times more torque to the wheel that has good traction.

These devices are often used in high-performance all-wheel-drive vehicles. Like the viscous coupling, they are often used to transfer power between the front and rear wheels. In this application, the Torsen is superior to the viscous coupling because it transfers torque to the stable wheels before the actual slipping occurs.

However, if one set of wheels loses traction completely, the Torsen differential will be unable to supply any torque to the other set of wheels. The bias ratio determines how much torque can be transferred, and five times zero is zero.

on page 2 in one of my posts it says how the torsen lsd works... why do you think the lsd on your car is not working?

the mechanical torsen will only lock the diff if there is loss of traction on one of the wheels. Eitherwise the diff is going to be open and act like a non lsd one.

Thanks for posting that up on page 2, KentIS300. I should have mentioned that I did read it prior to asking my question about the degradation of a Torsen LSD. :)

Perhaps I didn't word my question properly. What I'd like to know is how do Torsen LSDs age/deteriorate over time? For example:

• clutch pack LSD = worn clutch and shims
  • viscous LSD = degraded fluid
  • Torsen LSD = ?? (worn worm gear?)

I'm not suggesting that the LSD in my car isn't working anymore, I'm just curious on what is the answer to the question above :)

Thanks for posting that up on page 2, KentIS300. I should have mentioned that I did read it prior to asking my question about the degradation of a Torsen LSD. :)

Perhaps I didn't word my question properly. What I'd like to know is what is how do Torsen LSDs age/deteriorate over time? For example:

• clutch pack LSD = worn clutch and shims
  • viscous LSD = degraded fluid
  • Torsen LSD = ?? (worn worm gear?)

I'm not suggesting that the LSD in my car isn't working anymore, I'm just curious on what is the answer to the question above :)

I tihnk I had misread your post :)

I know it is a cheesy lol .... youtube clip and in French .. but you will get the understanding of the inners of the Torsen and how it works in action

It does seem that it is less prone to wear than the other two LSD's you mention. (In theory) ... worn gear would be the case as this is the only component that can fail?

even the oil, ir normal diff oil that Toyota/Lexus suggests not a special LSD oil apparently. (that's what I read online)

AGREE WITH MATT, NO SUCH THING AS A IS300 SPORT.

Looks like am the only one with an IS300 Sport on this forumn. :D

post-39192-0-43222200-1354128738.jpg

post-39192-0-43130200-1354128758.jpg

post-39192-0-47789000-1354128774.jpg

as you can see Sport has been etched on my windows from factory, car has full Sport bodykits and its mechanical parts are Sport parts like Double wishbone suspension, Torsen LSD, brakes, Tyres etc as confirmed on my earlier posts.

OK lets pretend all these were fitted as options from factory, does this still make my IS300 a non Sport model compared to an officially labelled IS200 Sport which already comes with the same specs as my fitted options from the factory? thats the million dollar question am asking you guys will these two cars be any different spec and handling wise?

answer is NO

Yes but the debate isn't weather your car is sporty Noby or carries the sport trim that the is200 sport does, we all know it does fella.

What people are trying to say is that your car was never sold by Lexus as an IS300 Sport. Its an IS300 and whoever bought yours added the styling kit and bigger 18" wheels as optional extras.

On your V5 document what does it say? Mine says Lexus IS200 SPORT. I bet yours says Lexus IS300?

I know it wasnt officially labelled and sold by Lexus as an IS300 SPORT. but like I said earlier in my posts some manufactures will not bother or dont feel the need to label some of thier cars or models a "Sport" even though it can be called and technically is a Sport model due to its spec, power and handling abilities.

an example will be a 3.0 Subaru Legacy Spec B... this car is not officially labelled as a Subaru Legacy Sport on the manufactures brochure or V5 form but that car is as Sporty as an obviously labelled 3.0 S Line Audi quattro A4. due to the fact that the Subaru packs a sophisticated sporty AWD train and Bilstein sports suspension. so technically it is a Sport model although its not been made obvious by the manufacturer or on the V5 form.

so i wont be wrong in calling my IS an IS300 sport technically.

I know it wasnt officially labelled and sold by Lexus as an IS300 SPORT.

Which is why it isn't an IS300 Sport. I have to ask you then, if you know it wasn't officially labelled and sold by Lexus as an IS300 SPORT, why do you insist your car is an IS300 SPORT?

an example will be a 3.0 Subaru Legacy Spec B... this car is not officially labelled as a Subaru Legacy Sport on the manufactures brochure or V5 form but that car is as Sporty as an obviously labelled 3.0 S Line Audi quattro A4. due to the fact that the Subaru packs a sophisticated sporty AWD train and Bilstein sports suspension. so technically it is a Sport model although its not been made obvious by the manufacturer or on the V5 form.

Which is why it's a Subaru Legacy Spec B, and not a Subaru Legacy Sport.

It's a very, VERY simple thing to understand.

so technically it is a Sport model although its not been made obvious by the manufacturer or on the V5 form.

you missed this matt or would i be wrong??

Oh right sorry I should have read the earlier posts. I thought that you thought Lexus sold an IS300 Sport.

If you want to call your car an IS300 sport that's your buismess, you'd be wrong but it's still up to you what you call your car.

My mrs and nephew call my car Larry, Larry the Lexus! Lol :)

so technically it is a Sport model although its not been made obvious by the manufacturer or on the V5 form.

you missed this matt or would i be wrong??

Yes, you'd be wrong. Because it's not an IS300 Sport.

I think you must be playing up to this, because no one, not even a retarded amoeba, would fail to grasp this.

Oh right sorry I should have read the earlier posts. I thought that you thought Lexus sold an IS300 Sport.

If you want to call your car an IS300 sport that's your buismess, you'd be wrong but it's still up to you what you call your car.

My mrs and nephew call my car Larry, Larry the Lexus! Lol :)

No worries Chris :)

IS300 SPORT it is for me and if any one disagrees they can check my back windows for proof. if they still disagree i can pop my bonnet so they can take a good glimpse of that 2J Zee and if they still disagree they can wonder why I am keeping up with them round the corners or on the straights in their obviusly labled Sport car :D

I think the discussion on LSDs has run it's course...lol

The fact is, a Sport model is different from a sporty model.

The difference being is whether a car is sporty or not is down to the personal opinion of the driver.

However unless stated on the V5 or by Lexus, no car that isn't officially designated so, is actually a Sport regardless of the installed trim level.

What do you put it down as when you insure it? Because if you put 'IS300 Sport' then they could invalidate your insurance because you've provided false information.

What does the engine type have to do with it? The Supra had a 2JZ in it too - so would that mean it's a Supra Sport?

Exactly that will mean its a Supra Sport....it wears a GE code this Toyota code means agressive 'Sport' cams larger valves plus high valve lift, and a valve angle which ensures power in mid to high speeds.

What do you put it down as when you insure it? Because if you put 'IS300 Sport' then they could invalidate your insurance because you've provided false information.

I put it down as IS300 and nothing else follows after that but guess what that brings my insurance down because they dont know its a Compact Sport car which has a Supra engine and once you drive one you forget it only has 210bhp :D so i save money on insurance because Lexus did not make it obvious but can have fun just like an S Line Audi driver whos paying more on thier insurance just because it has been made obvious by Audi as a Sport model :D cool huh ...

I put it down as IS300 and nothing else follows after that but guess what that brings my insurance down because they dont know its a Compact Sport car which has a Supra engine and once you drive one you forget it only has 210bhp :D so i save money on insurance because Lexus did not make it obvious but can have fun just like an S Line Audi driver whos paying more on thier insurance just because it has been made obvious by Audi as a Sport model :D cool huh ...

I'm sure after 13 years of it being on the roads the insurance companies are well aware of what it has under the bonnet. lol

John what car you had before the IS300?

V6 ford Cougar with the same ford Duratec engine found in Noble M400 cars but was bored out and turbo charges by Noble engineers was only 170bhp in the Cougar as you know.