Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

De-Ice Front Windscreen

My '07 IS250 SE has the heated windscreen wiper area function. My routine, which I followed this morning with -1 on the external temp readout, was to start the car and immediately hit the heated wiper button, the rear defrost and front screen button. That's all, didn't touch anything else. My AC is always on with the temp set to 19.5

I live in the second highest area of Surrey so know all about the cold (well, South East cold that is)!

Within 3 or 4 minutes the screen and side windows were 95% clear, as per the attached photo.

post-26582-0-90207100-1355219258.jpg

It certianly saves the wife a job as she has enough of those already :msn-oh:

It certianly saves the wife a job as she has enough of those already :msn-oh:

Haha thanks for that. Especially the picture.

I have been experimenting over the past few days and tried using the screen-wash along with the wipers too. Clears in seconds but is a little messy.

I recall my IS250 windows cleared pretty quickly and efficiently with the combination of Front/rear demist and wiper area heater. As with Tango I have a Ford (though a Focus) with the full heated windscreen and it is efficient but the defrost mode for the rest of the cabin is not as effective as the IS despite the racket from the fans.(maybe the 1.6 takes longer to heat up?) One observation though and would be interested to know if Tango agrees - on the Ford system - I find that the small wires in the screen can be a bit annoying at times at night and in the sunshine as oncoming headlights or sun reflect slightly sometimes giving a weird effect..

Luckily we dont Ice up too often on the Isle of Man.!

• 1 year later...

I used mine this morning, but didn't notice any difference, allbeit I tipped luke warm waterover the screen.

Tomorrow will try it without the water. Shame the elements aren't in the glass like they are on Fords and MINI's.

This is a very interesting thread and it is very relevant to a question I had.

I have recently noticed that to the right of my steering wheel down at the bottom there is a button on my IS250 SE which looks like a windscreen with a heater symbol on it. I have checked the manual and handbook and have not been able to confirm what this button is.

I had also assumed it was a heated windscreen button, however a Lexus dealer previously told me that Ford had the patent on headed windscreens and that Lexus could not copy this until next year.

Therefore is this a windscreen wiper demiser button or something else altogther.

Ps Every day is a school day with my IS250 at the moment

I changed my wipers today and I can see directly underneath the wipers, a swirly element that obvious defrosts the wiper sticking to the screen in bad ice etc.

Interesting function to have and total BS that Ford patented the idea as I see them on other cars (MINI being one).

Siadlo

I think the Lexus dealer mentioned to me that it was the full windscreen defrost function which was patented by Ford, not just the wiper defrost function. Does the MINI have the full function or is it the same as the Lexus?

• 2 weeks later...

This is a very interesting thread and it is very relevant to a question I had.

I have recently noticed that to the right of my steering wheel down at the bottom there is a button on my IS250 SE which looks like a windscreen with a heater symbol on it. I have checked the manual and handbook and have not been able to confirm what this button is.

I had also assumed it was a heated windscreen button, however a Lexus dealer previously told me that Ford had the patent on headed windscreens and that Lexus could not copy this until next year.

Therefore is this a windscreen wiper demiser button or something else altogther.

Ps Every day is a school day with my IS250 at the moment

Hahaha I did the same: Couldn't found in Lexus manual either wich was very weird I have to admit even though the button its there, really !! ..so like you bobbyc, I assume, judging by the sign on the button wich reveal a wiper with electric wire that it is a wiper heater for defrosting the bottom of the windscreen so it'll alow the frozen stuck wipers to engage. Yes, I thought I'm the only one with this little issue! Anyway, never used so far as my parking lot its underground so never need it,... so far!

• Like 1

Warm to Hot water (not boiling water) from a kettle/jug. Works every time. And before someone says "Your screen will shatter", well it won't - they are laminated and as long the water isn't boiling!! It won't freeze over again either normally, at least not for a while as it warms the screen through. The engine will be warm soon enough if you start it first!!

Also- that wiper demist thing on the Lexus - a bit of a faff - all you end up doing is scrubbing your wiper blades over the rest of the icy screen, thereby ruining them prematurely!

Ford patented the heated front screen,so not sure how bmw(mini 1) have got round it,could they be paying some sort of royalty to ford?otherwise all car manufacturers would be able to fit heated front screens as is the case with rear heated screens.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links