Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Aa Drivesafe - Comments?

japthree

Personally, unless it offers DRAMATIC savings, I can't see the point. and I don't think it will : as it stands with normal insurance, you pay a premium for the car, the area, and the driver (age, years driving, amount of convictions if any). Yes you are judged at the time of taking out your policy, but you are only judged at that time - with this scheme, you are constantly judged, and I can only see that to mean you pay more for it. I cannot see that they'd end up charging you less (ie, you pay a premium, and then for being a good driver, you get money back, reducing the cost) I can only see this as a way to charge you more. With the "normal" way, if you speed you don't get charged more by your insurance (provided you avoid a ticket). If you drive like a **** you don't get charged more, provided you don't get involved in an accident, etc

I have this telematics system in my work van, and it is VERY comprehensive. It monitors everything the ECU does; how long the engine has been running, how long you've been driving, how long you've been in x gear, how much you used the brakes, and at what force, how aggressive you are with the steering wheel, when you turned your lights on, if you indicated, etc etc. And thanks to Google maps, it knows what road you're on at any given time. Even if you've been donuting in Tesco's carpark!

• 4 weeks later...

One major flaw with these boxes is that they are unable to read the road speed limits. I had the confused.com Iphone app that accused me of being a dangerous driver. Simply because I was doing 70mph on a duel carriageway to work.

I think these boxes in their current form will come and go, I can see cars having some kind of camera to read road signs and a limiter being set in the car to prevent you going over. About 10yrs time as said above.

As long as people drive defensively and anticipate an accident then the boxes are a waste of time.

Nothing more than clever marketing by the AA.

Personally, unless it offers DRAMATIC savings, I can't see the point. and I don't think it will : as it stands with normal insurance, you pay a premium for the car, the area, and the driver (age, years driving, amount of convictions if any). Yes you are judged at the time of taking out your policy, but you are only judged at that time - with this scheme, you are constantly judged, and I can only see that to mean you pay more for it. I cannot see that they'd end up charging you less (ie, you pay a premium, and then for being a good driver, you get money back, reducing the cost) I can only see this as a way to charge you more. With the "normal" way, if you speed you don't get charged more by your insurance (provided you avoid a ticket). If you drive like a **** you don't get charged more, provided you don't get involved in an accident, etc

I have this telematics system in my work van, and it is VERY comprehensive. It monitors everything the ECU does; how long the engine has been running, how long you've been driving, how long you've been in x gear, how much you used the brakes, and at what force, how aggressive you are with the steering wheel, when you turned your lights on, if you indicated, etc etc. And thanks to Google maps, it knows what road you're on at any given time. Even if you've been donuting in Tesco's carpark!

Same sort off thing in our work van's too. They relay live information to our control room to, They moan about idle time alot and you also get a phone call if you hit 75mph too as it bleeps in the office. Massively ott and in my eyes not saving the company any money at all.

As for them boxes alot off younger drivers are having to have them now as it's the only way they can get insured. I have had a few companies tell me i have to have one fitted in my LS400 due to been 23. Erm no thanks, we all like using the power on the slip road to get up to speed and the odd sprint here and there

• 1 year later...

Another way to get more out of the consumer, the next thing they will expect is for you to have a designated hard wired dash cam to go with the box for video evidence.

And you still will not get any discount on your premium.

The last time I got an insurance quote from the AA, it was in dreamland compared to quotes from online comparison sites. I can't believe that this is going to reduce the premiums down to a competitive level...

Interesting that there are no "You could save N pounds" which is what I would expect to see if the adjustments were really worth having.

How much are they going to knock off for 10 points? I can't find any real figures anywhere...

I read recently that it was claimed insurance premiums had dropped on average this year £100.00 due to the EU ruling on removing discrimination between male and female drivers, hmmm more BS I suspect mine was the same as last year,there again perhaps Lexus is not classed as an average car.

BTW, as you say, Lexus sure isn't an average car - I drove my mates Astra yesterday and I couldn't get over how clunky and nasty it was to drive compared to my 12 year old IS. And I'm not just being snobby - I've had several Astra's and really liked them...