Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is 250 F Sport Lacquer On Wheels Peeling

Leeroy_41

Hi guys , only joined the club this morning , wanted to see if anyone has suffered with a similar problem with lacquer peeling , I purchased my baby last November from nottingham Lexus , was only registered in march 2011 and all the wheels are peeling ? Has anyone had replacements ? Cheers

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

Lexus alloy wheels are notorious for paint problems and always have been, apparently more so than other manufacturers.

The good news is that Lexus have in the past replaced the wheels (sometimes more than once) under warranty but it also depends on the individual dealer, some will do nothing initially,some will offer a free refurbishment and others will fit a brand new set.

I would approach your dealer and see what their initial reaction is and go from there, if they are unwilling then mention that you have heard of problems from other owners, then mention the LOC then mention Lexus GB.

Chances are they will oblige but softly softly catchy Monkey.

Preservation is also a good approach, clean them often especially when salt is present on the roads (I use car wash/wax solution,rinse and leather off) preferably remove them regularly to clean the rear of the rims and use some wheel wax or similar to help protect them.

• 5 weeks later...

Leeroy_41, sorry to hear about your problem.

I'll have a good look at mine next time I go out!

Please keep us informed of developments.

Could you just clarify something please.

The photo shows that you do not have the factory gun metal grey alloys.

Is that correct?

I did not realise that that alloy style and in silver, was an option on the F-Sport MY2011

Argento

Lexus should replace them free of charge under warranty, but as Steve2006 has said , you must keep them clean of salt and brake dust, also a good wheel polish or better still a sealant, I have used Wolfs Chemical Hard Body Wheel Sealant for some time now and have not had any problems with pealing or corrosion, also as soon as you scrape the wheel , either get it repaired or put some clear paint varnish on it, even your partners nail varnish will do, even the smallest mark that breaks the lacquer can cause pealing or corrosion.

The photo is of wheels from my old 2008 450h I had the car from new and kept it 4 years.

lexus4sale013.jpg

Exdee, <Those wheels are optional. I have seen them on plenty of 250's. >

Ok. That's it then. Thanks.

But I have to say that I've not seen them on any recent F-Sport.

It seems odd that all four are affected.

Bad batch?

Or, could they have been cleaned aggressively before the car was sold on.

What do you think?

In any case, I agree with all that has been written.

I've been using Angel Wax, Rim Wax and Silver Shield? (paint protection) for some years now.

I've been lucky I'm pleased to say, and not had any problems with my alloys.

I do wash them more that most people I suppose.

Argento

BTW, Wendle - thanks for that great picture of your alloy.

You should be proud of that.

Exdee, <Those wheels are optional. I have seen them on plenty of 250's. >

Ok. That's it then. Thanks.

But I have to say that I've not seen them on any recent F-Sport.

It seems odd that all four are affected.

Bad batch?

Or, could they have been cleaned aggressively before the car was sold on.

What do you think?

In any case, I agree with all that has been written.

I've been using Angel Wax, Rim Wax and Silver Shield? (paint protection) for some years now.

I've been lucky I'm pleased to say, and not had any problems with my alloys.

I do wash them more that most people I suppose.

Argento

BTW, Wendle - thanks for that great picture of your alloy.

You should be proud of that.

Those wheels were standard on the original MY2010 F - Sport and also available as an option shortly after the 2nd gen IS was released. Looking at this Avatar it would appear that Leroy has an MY2010 F sport that was registered in 2011

F.A. your point about "... it would appear that Leroy has an MY2010 F sport that was registered in 2011..... " seems to have put Leeroy_41 from getting back to us on this?

Argento

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links