Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2013 Lexus Is Update!

The second vid really shows off the interior. So much better than the current generation IS. Hopefully we would get to see the 350 here, but unlikely. The sound of having a decent 8speed auto is certainly appealing, but only if the power is there. I hope that the IS250 would have enough power to run decently in 8th gear without it jumping two gears or more down at the slightest touch of throttle on the motorway.

Also, unsure about the LED lights - they seem completly seperate from the main headlight housing. hmmm....

What you guys thinking?

Haven't seen the second video before but have seen Jay Leno's run on it. The interior looks very similar to a GS and I like it. I am not so sure about the exterior at the moment. Looks like the Lexus ES.

I am pretty sure I have seen those LEDs before. Hang on found it. Look crap IMO.

Lexus+LF-gh+Concept+02.jpg

The indications are that they are sticking with a V6 and that's where my interest will be focussing. The new auto drive train also sounds interesting, but it will be the ratios that make or break it. If the engine is just a modification of the current V6 (250) I’d love to know what’s changed.

Fuel consumption will be the give away as many other V6 power units have better fuel efficiency and I’m hoping that this will be one of the major improvements to the new IS.

Has anyone heard anything about the metal lump under the bonnet?

It is a 2.5 4 cylinder engine with electric motor producing 210bhp giving approx 65 mpg 99 g/km CO2 and 0-62 in around 8.5 seconds with a CVT gear box . Its unlikely that the UK version is going to be a V6 or have an 8 speed conventional auto box.

I stand corrected. Auto Express just reviewed the 2.5 V6 prototype. The engine sounds exactly like the one in the current IS 2.5 V6 putting out 205bhp giving approx 35mpg, 190 g/km CO2 and 0-62MPH IN 8.5 seconds. It is quoted to cost around £2000 less than the IS300h. If these figures are true, then you are going to have to really want a V6 to choose this over the 300h

I think Autocar did a review of the IS300h and they said that the CVT is much better than in the other Toyota/Lexus Hybrids...so maybe it won't be so bad! Theres a link on the lexusenthusiast.com site along with all these other videos.

I like the look of the new car inside and out - apart from head/taillight and front drl's its pretty obvious from the videos and photos what it looks like - thankfully they've not messed with the proportions too much. Apparently it gets a split rear seat too with more legroom - bonus! Looking forward to Jan 15th when it breaks cover in Detroit.

Well considering that the new GS is almost as new, Lexus didn't do anything much to the 2.5v6, leaving it thirsty and not competitive enough with anything else in the price/class (in terms of co2 etc). If lexus had aspirations of selling loads of GS's then it was a huge error. For me it's great. Rarity value!

Rumour has it that he ES300h drivetrain is destined for the GS soon, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the new IS has that 2.5 litre 4 cylinder engine in it and hybrid only. It would make sense- else they won't sell many in the UK at least!

I doubt that there will be a non-hybrid v6 for the new IS. It just will not be competitive enough. I believe it will be dropped for the GS when the hybrid is launched, but I might be wrong.

Well considering that the new GS is almost as new, Lexus didn't do anything much to the 2.5v6, leaving it thirsty and not competitive enough with anything else in the price/class (in terms of co2 etc). If lexus had aspirations of selling loads of GS's then it was a huge error. For me it's great. Rarity value!

Rumour has it that he ES300h drivetrain is destined for the GS soon, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the new IS has that 2.5 litre 4 cylinder engine in it and hybrid only. It would make sense- else they won't sell many in the UK at least!

I doubt that there will be a non-hybrid v6 for the new IS. It just will not be competitive enough. I believe it will be dropped for the GS when the hybrid is launched, but I might be wrong.

There will be new IS250 V6 in Europe, with updated transmission...

But main seller is IS300h, it used 4cly AR engine with Direct injection... it might have up to 240hp and new transmission to make it sportier.

Thats definitely what I am looking at.

As to the CVT, thats grossly overplayed by media.. it doesnt use CVT but PSD, which is similar in operation... what makes big difference is electric motors built into the PSD, they give you instant 40-50hp when you press gas so thats big difference. You can check with people who drive GS450h, it is just effortless speed anytime you press gas.

Very true. I thought they were going to drop the 2.5V6 when the 2.5 in line 4 AR hybrid came out, or so my garage told me a few weeks ago. We'll just have to see. it does look amazing inside though - especially the dash - very LFA.

Can't wait to see one in the flesh. Just hope they have sorted all the small foibles that blighted the 2nd Gen IS when it came out (creaking seats, rattly dash's, centre speaker, "crack" noise, B post buzzing, Boot lid hitting the rear bumper when closing etc). The GS is brilliantly made, and I haven't found a single basic quality/design flaw yet, other than missing auto door locks (which is an omission rather than a flaw)!

• 3 weeks later...

My first thoughts:

- Front too pointy. Don't like the grill.

- Rear diffuser looks out of place.

- Rear reflectors look silly too.

- Interior is excellent.

The sunroof was an option on the 2nd gen IS too. It never went away. It was ridiculously priced and made head room worse hence didn't sell well.

Yes it was but then they stopped offering the option during the last 2 years of production, citing lack of demand.

The sunroof was an option on the 2nd gen IS too. It never went away. It was ridiculously priced and made head room worse hence didn't sell well.

Yes it was but then they stopped offering the option during the last 2 years of production, citing lack of demand.

Oh I see, I personally think the car looks a lot better with the sunroof. Hope they are popular this time round in the UK.

I ordered my last 250 with sunroof. Mainly for the look. But I regreted it pretty soon due to the lack of headroom (I'm 190cm) and the click and creak noise when it tilts and opens. my new 250 doesn't have it so there is plenty of headroom and also the car feels a lot more rigid.