Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking To Buy A Is...much Difference In Mpg Between 220D And 250?

For what its worth..I had a 220d and now have a 250sel.

During my time with the 220d i got around 37-39 on my short run to work. Around town it would be 36mpg. On a good motorway run (Scotland to Bournemouth..damned long way!!!!) I managed 54mpg keeping to 73mph in 5th gear using cruise control. I could get mid 40's without trying too hard. Diesel here is 140p per litre.

Presently I have the 250 V6 Auto petrol. My runs to work give me about 31-32mpg. Around town is about 28mpg. On a decent run ihave had 40mpg using cruise and keeping to about 65mph. I have not any really sizeable runs in it yet. Only had it 3 months though. Petrol here is 132p per litre.

The mpg I got with the 220d was very pleasing. I have seen many people get way less. I used fuel additives and carbon removers and cleaned the EGR valve every 7000 miles or so. Up and running the car was great to drive....an abslotue pleasure on the m-way run. The turbo would make it go like billy-o!!The gear box can be a bit notchy and does have slightly strange ratios. 6th is pretty much useless unless you are doing 90+ mph...which you can't really do in this country. The biggest reservation I have is regarding the frequency of Head Gasket failures of this model. Mine went and needed a short engine rebuild. I was fortunate..Lexus footed the bill on a warranty extension to the engine. I had a Full Lexus history and 6 stamps in my book. I gave the car to my son ( he desperately needed a car with a new job doing 20000+ miles per year). I watch it like a hawk for him and just last week cleaned the EGR after 6500 miles. All is going well for him and he averages 47 mpg sometimes using cruise control. We had a dreaded Check VSC dash warning, and car in semi limp mode, last week(worried the hell out of me that it was the Head again) but it was a broken wire on an air sensor.

The Auto 250 is a completely different beast. It is just gorgeous to drive and the auto box is so smooth. Yes the mpg is not as good but is so much more refined...it swung it for me. In all fairness I don't do big miles now probably in the order of 6-8000 I would think. No turbo on the V6 but it goes just fine when you want it too. Been surprised how often I have spun the back tyres!!

Thats my ten penneth...see what others say. I'm not going to say don't get a 220d or 200d ....but please think long and hard about it and read the posts here regarding Head Gasket issues and also very varying mpg returns on the diesel. I think you can probably guess what I would advise you to go for!!

What I would advise is that YOU GO IN WITH EYES WIDE OPEN.

I do around 15k a year. What is the realistic mpg on motorway driving for both ? If not much difference tempted to go for 250

Hiya, have a look at this link (below)and, whilst you will find it helpful to read all of the thread, in the first instance have a look at post number 14, this will give you an indication what I got from my 220d. I too have moved up to the IS250 merely because of the very low annual mileage that I now do, which I have learned is not good when owning a diesel. The 220d was at that time the best car that I had ever owned, that accolade now falls to the IS250.

http://www.lexusowne...wtopic=76569=

Have been on a 46 mile round trip today in the 250 and on A roads mainly with a small amount of B roads, reset the trip at the start and on arrival at home the computer was showing 39mpg,

I hope that this is of some help to you.

I have owned two IS250 autos but have driven a number of IS220 as "loaners" when my car has been in for servicing. Fuel consumption for the 250 is excellent (unusually, the auto is probably better than the manual box) but cannot equal that of the 220. However, when it comes to driving pleasure (silence, performance, smoothness etc) the 220 doesn't come anywhere near the 250. Over 15000 miles, the 220 fuel costs will clearly be less than the 250 but, even so, I would encourage you to opt for a 250 auto - you will not be disappointed.

I own both models and can agree with pretty much everything that has been said.

I average between 30-36 going to work and back on A-roads in the 250.

I average between 34-42 in the 220.

It is certainly true that the petrol/auto combination is the best combination for the smooth and refined Lexus drive you would expect.

That said, the diesel despite its short comings is a torquey and quick feeling car.

I can honestly say it feels much more nimble than the auto 250 which has a much more laid back acceleration feel.

I enjoy driving both and if you are lucky enough to get a good one like mine with all the recall work done then you shoud have reliable driving with reasonable economy for years to come.

I would say the 250 is the safer choice but a good diesel is still a excellent car.

Carl

mpg miles gal l cost/l cost/£

32 15000 469 2128 1.32 2809

38.5 15000 390 1768 1.40 2476

about £300 per year. I concur with Normski2 and have had exactly the same experience and mpg with the two cars. When people say I have to have a diesel because I do XXXX miles per year I do wonder if they've worked it out. The depreciation on a car is going to be of the order of 10x this value...

Hi

I'm looking to buy as well and though I can't comment on the mpg I can comment on the car.

I was looking to buy a diesel but having read about the many issues with them I was not so sure.

I test drove a few and thought they were ok but as soon as I test drove a petrol auto I knew what I wanted.

The diesel, even though torqier and seemingly more nimble des not 'suit' the nature of the car.

The petrol is so smooth and progressive, it is almost regal and suits the nature of Lexus perfectly.

You just want to waft along and revel in the smoothness, almost as if it is driving itself.

When the need arises I found it accelerates quite briskly but deceptively so you don't notice how quick it picks up speed, but to be honest, in all my petrol test drives I have never felt the urge to go fast.

Just cruise...... (and I have always been a very fast driver).

:flowers:

Only problem is finding a good one :arrrggg-matey:

"Only problem is finding a good one :arrrggg-matey: "

Yes indeed.....you have to be patient and sample a few in the meantime. So glad I waited for mine to appear. Had to travel a couple of hundred miles to get it but it was worth it.

I let my IS220d go after only 26 months from new - it was one of the early ones. Blighted with rattles, poor economy from new (i.e. even when everything on it was brand new), suffered the recalls for 5th injectors, creaking seats, all manner of rattles everywhere.

The flat spot was hard to live with - a very narrow power delivery from 2200-3400rpm or so - so you could make it go quickly, but boy you had to work the gears. 6th was useless, the rear view mirror vibrated, the list was endless. Oh, and the gear change from 1st to 2nd wash't particularly good.

I had several loaners from Lexus over that period, including a string of IS250;s, Auto's and manual whilst my IS220d was in for the works. I knew then I had made a horrible error. The 250 Auto was the car I should have got.

So I gave up the ghost - it cost me £000's in depreciation and I vowed never to buy a Lexus again....I went over to the german brigade as the IS250 was cramped/small in the back.......until I test drove the GS250 totally by accident whilst I was looking at Audi A7's!

My final comment would be this: If you do a lot of miles on a motorway, and need economy, buy with your head, and your eyes wide open!! And that doesn't mean buy a Lexus....buy whats right and avoid the brand stereotypes. You have to live with it, not in spite of it!!