Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thermostat Location On A Is 200 Se Auto

Cmayne

Hi guys, I've just joined having bought a IS 200 SE Auto Year 2000 at auction and the engine temp takes ages to lift off Cold. So having read related posts here and elsewhere it could be related to a Thermostat stuck open or not present at all! I've already taken off a 'domed' looking cover (connected by 2 bolts with no gasket) to the water pump on the left hand side (not the alternator side) of the engine - connected to the lower hose from the rad. Though this did not have a thermostat within it. Is this where the Thermostat should be? Any help on this would be appreciated before I take off the alternator to get at the other possible area referred to in other posts!!!

Great. Thanks for confirming Sparkystav. I already have the new thermostat and have drained the system. There is a loose gromit-like bit of metal through a hole on the edge of the stat - what is this for and should it go at the top or bottom when I put it in? Cheers.

The "loose gromit-like piece of metal" will be the "Jiggle Valve" and should be placed at the top +/- 15

degrees.

When the stat is closed it allows the system to bleed when you refill the coolant.

There should be an O ring seal in the housing,make sure it's OK or replace if in doubt.

http://www.gforcepar...R/242210/1/1603

Thanks Steve. There is an O ring included. Should there also be a gasket between the housing and the cover when bolting back? I ask because when I bolted back previously (to discover no stat) coolant did leak out when I tightened the bolts back - didn't want to over-tighten! Cheers.

Sorry only just seen your question but you seem to have sorted the problem.

You should be able to get a decent radiator from motor factors or that well known internet auction site don't pay Lexus dealer prices.

No worries. Yep, got a new one from a breakers on-line for £65. Courier was meant to deliver today, so will hopefully get to putting it in tomorrow. Any tips/steps to removing Rad? Cheers.

remove engine under cover 16 x 10mm screws)

-drain engine coolant using the radiator drain valve

-remove the air cleaner inlet(10mm bolt to remove)

-remove stock airbox and disconnect MAF Sensor

-disconnect upper rad hose

-disconnect lower rad hose

-disconnect ECM 90 degree tubing from ECM and rad

-disconnect the wire for the electric cooling fan from clamp on electric fan

-disconnect 2 electric fan connectors

-disconnect the ECT switch(by lower rad hose, unscrew and screw into new rad)

-for A/T, disconnect 2 oil hoses from rad

-remove the two nuts and radiator top supports

-lift out the rad with cooling fan assembly attached

-disconnect the rad reservoir hose from the rad

-remove the 6 10mm bolts that hold fan assembly on rad

New rad now in and the Temp gauge now reads normal at last - though I think this is also due to the Stat now in place. Just one issue when I went out for a test drive earlier - when in a queue of traffic, stop/start, the temp gauge gets close to the red zone. Is this normal? If not, what are the likely causes? Any pointers would be helpful. Cheers.

Thanks for the pointers Rick. In a rush to get the new rad in, I forgot to put the fan switch in (which required a new one as the one of the two terminals had rusted away) - I wondered why I had a spare wire loom with a connector yesterday! The new one is in and fans working with engine temp settling at half way on the gauge now and no leaks. Cheers - Happy Christmas!