Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Member, New Car

manchestermike

Hello and Merry Christmas to every one.After being diagnosed with terminal cancer I decided to have some fun and am now the very proud owner of a perfect 1997 R reg LS400.

111,000 miles on the clock (which people tell me is just run in) only two previous owners, full service history and almost perfect in every way (I hope.....),

It is, by far, the best and poshest car I have ever owned and consiquentially have got a couple of really dimbo questions.

It didn't have a manual and after asking the very unhelpful sales staff at the local dealership and looking on eBay for one I decided to come to you guy's for help. (what is it about manuals, did they only produce one per year or something??).

Anyway, the questions are:

How do you use the cruise control? (after not having one before are there any things I have to be careful of?).

And, what is the lock for between the bonnet and petrol filler release , It says " push to lock" on it and has a key hole. I can only imagine it is a security function but am a bit foxed.

I really would appreciate some help, cause it's a shame to be such a thicky in my beautiful motor.

Yours,

manchestermike

Hello Mike, Merry Christmas to you too. I hope that you get lots of fun hours from driving your new car.

Have a look here for your manual........................

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/info/my-lexus/resources/submit-owners-manual-search;JSESSIONID_LEXUSDRIVERS=XRScQhRFSL1dqypVl1XkZ6RyQFVLf0gMp0XF2h2xyqc9nVDmtgn7!773703415

Hope this will help.

Thanks Folks,

I've just been out and tried the Cruise Control and works great on the M56 (only set at 65 mph of course....). A bit hairy trusting an electronic brain for the first time but now I'm sold.

No joy on the manual as yet, all the downloads don't seem to work but never mind I'll try to get back to the previous owner and see if that gets a result.

That locking thingy is still bugging me though........

The ''locking thingy '' is a lock to enable the boot only to be opened by the key. If you have the lock in the horizontal position the boot cannot be opened by the valet key. I suppose in the USA where valet parking is more common it might be useful.

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

The guys have covered your questions but I'm sure there will be more as you discover more gadgets in your LS400.

Have you found the front seatbelt height adjustment switch yet?

There are normally owner manuals on eBay but not at the moment but keep looking as they may reappear after the Christmas/New Year period.

Hi Steve, thanks for the welcome, so far everyone has been really great and helpful.

I'm almost there with all the gadgets in my excellent new motor, I think due to the fantastic design everything seems to be quite user friendly.

All I need now is a recommendation for a high class valet service in the South Manchester area. The car is perfect but the drivers side carpet needs a good clean and I'd like about an inch of wax on it to make it into a showroom condition time traveller....

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Folks,

It's the newbie LS400 explorer again....

I think I've got to the bottom of my manual problem. Geoff "bluenose 1940" was right when he pointed me to the website, but my problem is that I've been searching for a 1997 manual.. there is no such thing. They are listed, but the second generation LS400 was revised in Sept 1997 to a very much re-vamped model.

On websites "1997" is listed but in fact never existed by the looks of it. Pre Sept models (like mine) you have to find 1996 manuals and post Sept (newer version, much altered) you have to search for the "1998" manual.

That's taught me something and I hope it'll solve some other people's angst in the future.

Still it shows that you have to persevere eh.....

Yours

The Lexus Dimbo....

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links