Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How Far Will Gs450 Drive Without Key Present

Reason I ask this is I parked in multi storey car park went n got ticket and kids out of car got a bit distracted and went up town......got back to car hour n half later to find I hadn't switched it off so car was running and open just waiting to be pinched luckily it wasn't ...but just wondering how long car would drive for without the key being present

That’s interesting, I started my car and went in doors to pick something up and it was still running, I assumed that I hadn’t got far enough away from the car for it to cut out, but after what you have said it seems that it wont cut out at any distance, so I would assume that someone could have driven it away and would only had a problem if they had turned the car off.

I would liked to be a fly on the wall at the car park, the faces of people walking past when your car started up and stopped by itself.

Yh just like wendle said it won't turn off unless it runs out of petrol or somebody switches it off. The car beeps 4-5 times once the driver leaves the car and the key is not detected but that's about it. This can be heard with the door closed too. You must be really distracted to have not heard it.

Consider yourself very lucky as there is no way an insurance company would pay out if such an event happens.

It defo won't turn off unless you turn it off. There was a post on the IS forum a few years back of someone travelling 35 miles, switching the car off but unable to lock the doors, to find that he had left his key in a jacket pocket - a jacket that he went back inside the house to leave at home before setting off....

Wooooo I was lucky then... I thought car would be disabled if key not present n car drove off...Hayho you learn something new ...

Was distracted with kids whinging and a idiot parked next to me at a stupid angle and had words with HER to straighten up n move back a bit plus mrs shouting at me to hurry up (sales wer on)

I did have a funny feeling something was wrong but just shook it off and carried on up town shopping... The look on my face as I returned to the car and noticed it still running was a picture and a few choice words came out my mouth (called myself a few names) lol

Won't be doing that again lol

• 1 month later...
:shifty: Don't worry you are all mistaken. I have a 2007 gs450h, my wife was driving the car a few months back but I had the key in my pocket which we both forgot about. The wife parked on double yellows to drop me off at a post office to post a parcel and sat with the engine running, no problem. I went in the post office and my wife spotted a traffic warden, in her wisdom she decided to drive around the block to avoid a ticket and low and behold she got about 15 yards and the car ground to an immediate halt with key not detected displayed on the dash! Needless to say she had a few choice words when I returned to the car but we still avoided a ticket! :iraqi-info-minister:

Really? I had tyres fitted recently and 1 of the fitters drove the car back out of the garage round the block and into the car park yet 1 of the other fitters had the key on him and it was fine! It says "key is not detected" as soon as you leave the car or have the key too far away from the actual start/stop button but doesnt cut out that I'm aware of anyway!

Fun and games when your key Battery dies, ie, xmas day with presents to put in the boot and relatives that are freezing waiting for me to open up the car. Alarm blaring and lights flashing and all the neighbours looking out of their windows as I had to use the key blade to open the door, then spend 5mins+ reading the manual working out how to start the car without the remote (hold the remote up to the button until light goes green then push it)! I was not impressed, especially when nowhere was open to buy a new Battery! :tsktsk:

Well I was gone for about 10 mins before she drove off but the car actually died while she was driving, she thought the car had broken down :shifty: maybe its a time and movement activation?

Before your key died did you not get the Battery low warning, mine went in November but I got 3 weeks warning on the trip computer, I bought the replacement but was too tight to replace it until the old one ran out B)

Well I was gone for about 10 mins before she drove off but the car actually died while she was driving, she thought the car had broken down :shifty: maybe its a time and movement activation?

Before your key died did you not get the battery low warning, mine went in November but I got 3 weeks warning on the trip computer, I bought the replacement but was too tight to replace it until the old one ran out B)

My dear friend, tight is rite. Yiuhave to replace it soon do if outright away.

Like don't wait until your tires show the threadbefireyiuchsnge them,

U already have the Battery do change themasap.

Lexuspcl8811

:shifty: Don't worry you are all mistaken. I have a 2007 gs450h, my wife was driving the car a few months back but I had the key in my pocket which we both forgot about. The wife parked on double yellows to drop me off at a post office to post a parcel and sat with the engine running, no problem. I went in the post office and my wife spotted a traffic warden, in her wisdom she decided to drive around the block to avoid a ticket and low and behold she got about 15 yards and the car ground to an immediate halt with key not detected displayed on the dash! Needless to say she had a few choice words when I returned to the car but we still avoided a ticket! :iraqi-info-minister:

My experience is ,,, I went with my wife o the Medco . She was driving, she hopped out .i jumped in the drivers seat and drive away, I went around he kroner and parked. The car ran beautifully. Showed no signs of shutting down, I parked and switched off.

The baby will not start,

Shucks I finthave the key, my eifehadit. Eifehadit it my wife had it,I gatheredthatthe year needs thekeytostart, but once startedit will run even if u take the key away. It will run all the time parioasu.L

Lexuspcl8811'

Later she amend found,e and the key in herbal the car started,

I gatheredthatthe car

Reason I ask this is I parked in multi storey car park went n got ticket and kids out of car got a bit distracted and went up town......got back to car hour n half later to find I hadn't switched it off so car was running and open just waiting to be pinched luckily it wasn't ...but just wondering how long car would drive for without the key being present